Chiropractic for Maximum Output!

by Terry Weyman D.C., C.C.S.P.

How much do you really know about Chiropractic? Check out this site for some interesting facts.

Chiropractic is the fastest growing healing profession in the world today. Since Chiropractic is the branch of the healing arts that deals with structure and function, many athletes (both professional and amateur) have found great relief through Chiropractic health care. However, it is still overlooked as a tool for maintaining health and achieving maximum output for your athletic event.

In order to understand how Chiropractic can enhance your athletic potential, as well as your overall health, it is important to understand more about how Chiropractic works, and clear up a myths that you may have heard.

The spinal column is made up of 24 movable bones called vertebra that function together during movement. The most important function of the vertebra is to protect the spinal cord. The spinal cord is the body’s “switch board”. Just as the trunk and branches of a tree transfer nutrients to the leaves, the spinal cord transfers nerve impulses, through the neurological network, to all parts of the body. If we look at our lives from the time that we are born until the time we die, the body is in constant motion, even when we are at rest. The cells of our body are constantly dying and being replaced by new, health cells. Two and a half million of them will die and be replaced every minute of your life. This is a normal process. Health can be defined as the ability of the body to replace the cells and tissue structures normally and on a consistent basis. This will work properly as long as there is no interference between the brain (central computer) and the tissue cells. Research out of Colorado State University states “the amount of pressure on a nerve at a compressive force of a quarter on the back of your hand, 2 mm of mercury, can result in a loss of up to 60% nerve function”. The Doctor of Chiropractic calls this interference a Vertebral Subluxation or intersegmental dysfunction.

What is a Vertebral Subluxation/Intersegmental Dysfunction? A subluxation is a vertebra (back bone) that is not biomechanically aligned with the vertebra above and below which can result in abnormal pressure on the exiting nerve root. This pressure on the nerve root can cause an interference of the brains impulses to the tissue cells. This interference can result in abnormal cell production down the line leading to Pain/symptoms. This interference can also lead to the initiation of a Dies-ease process. As the study showed, this small amount of pressure can “dim” the affects of the nervous system. This “dimmed” nerve can cause a lack of maximum output, which can alter the performance of the muscles or organs, which the nerve supplies. A specific Chiropractic adjustment of the involved vertebra is the most effective way in correcting a Vertebral Subluxation and restoring nerve flow back to the cells.

Most people let pain guide their health care regiment. What they don’t know is the subluxation may or may not involve pain. Pain is you body’s alarm system and only enters the picture when at least 50 percent of damage has taken place if it enters the picture at all- (some organs do not have pain sensory fibers at all). As a society, we’ve been indoctrinated into thinking that pain is bad, when in reality its our body’s alarm system to prevent us from further injuring ourselves. Careless use of drugs in the form of pills, anti-inflammatories and other medications can mask the pain allowing the athlete to continue the activity that caused the damage in the first place. If your car’s oil light came on would you cut the wire so the light went out and the say, “Good now my car isn’t low on oil anymore.” If you had this attitude, eventually your car would seize and fall apart. The same thing happens to your body if you keep ignoring or masking the pain. This is why a lot of athletes develop chronic injuries.

In athletics, and life for that matter, there is a tremendous amount of stress placed on the musculoskeletal structure. Since out body is a Biomechanical Kinetic Chain (hip bone connected to the thigh bone), when one area is injured it can affect the entire structure. Any imbalance, can cause pain, weakness, lack of function and overall a decrease in your maximum output. If the imbalance isn’t corrected and you cover up the symptoms your body is sending you, over time, this will lead to degeneration and an early retirement form your sport. Many athletes both professional and amateur use Sports Chiropractors as a form of body mechanics maintenance.

By correcting the biomechanical misalignments and allowing the body’s nervous system to function at its maximum, you too can achieve results that are often unbelievable. People are constantly underestimating the body’s healing capacity.

About the Author: Dr. Terry Weyman has been caring for top level athletes for over 20 years. He is the owner of Chiropractic Sports Institute. For more info check him out at www.gotcsi.com

Mark Elliott January 06, 2011 at 11:45 am

I have recently undergone the care of a chiropractor and it has helped my overall health and specifically my "recovery" time after riding. I would recommend the care of a chiropractor to anyone interested in bettering their total health.

Glenn McGovern January 06, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Most of the GP MX teams in Europe have chiropractors on their teams for riders. Chiropractors can do miracles for soft tissue injuries. I have been able to make important veterans races after severe muscle injury due to help due to chiropractic care, and could not have walked normally much make the events.
    GLENN McGOVERN

Rob January 06, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Um, the reason chirpractic "health" doesn't get respect is because it can't prove most of the claims. Scientific proof is what seperates bunk, quacks, and new age "medicine" from real, scientifically based medicine.

If you want a sports massage that's fine- but don't call it medicine, it isn't.

Sean January 06, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Rob...I don't see in this article where chiropractic is being referred to as "medicine". In fact, chiropractic is the exact opposite. Chiropractic works with the body to allow it to heal and function at its optimal level. Medicine takes a drug, puts it in the body, and waits for the drug to mask the symptom. Drugs only allow you to live with your condition. Aside from an antibiotic killing a bacteria, tell my one drug that actually corrects or cures anything? If you think all chiros do is a 'sports massage', I encourage you to find out more about chiropractic, the benefits are awesome...just ask a chiropractic patient!

Stephen Legate D.C. January 06, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Think of it this way riders; would you like to seat bounce that jump without a shot of pain shooting from your back, or overshoot that big jump and flat land it without a zinger in your neck and your hands going numb, or how about just being able to fully turn your body to see who is around you in a race? Chiropractic care allows all of this without drug dependence and too much time off. Your body needs at least as much tuning as your bike! I ride and race also and if you want to ensure full performance potential, get adjusted regularly. Go 11, 20, and 25!
    SLDC

Justin Ellis January 06, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Chiropractic is at best as good as conventional pain therapies and medicines. For the most part chiropractic is pure pseudoscience and deserves to be treated as such. There is no scientific evidence that chiropractic has any positive effects for anything more than minor back pain and for neck pain can actually worsen the problem lead to strokes or death in some cases. Chiropractors are professional con men for the most part or they are deluding themselves. If you go to 10 different chiropractors you are likely to get 10 different diagnoses, however all of them would recommend immediate treatment several times a week for ridiculous prices. Pure and simple: I have been in the motocross world for about 15 years and I love it but do a little research before you go endorsing pseudoscience like this and rely on real evidence and not anecdotes.

Justin

elemen0hpee January 06, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Wow Justin, your post really shows how ignorant your opinion is. Maybe you should take your own advice and do some research before you post your opinion as fact.
    "There is no scientific evidence that chiropractic has any positive effects for anything more than minor back pain"
    Even a cursory search of pubmed will put an end to that statement

#2 "for neck pain can actually worsen the problem lead to strokes or death in some cases."
    Whatever dude, I have been in practice for 10 years and my malpractice insurance in less than $1000 per year, that is less than my car insurance.

#3 "Pseudoscience?" Puh-leeze.... Even webMD has chiropractic research indexed.

Opinions are like.... nevermind

Rob January 07, 2011 at 8:43 am

Sean- " Chiropractic works with the body to allow it to heal and function at its optimal level" - get real. You are making a totally unsubstantiated health claim with this kind of absurd statement. While it may seem harmless the fact of the matter is at the very, very least you are encouraging people to waste their money and at worst they can be injured with this type of "care".

As for your statement about drug cures, that makes no sense. Drug use, with the exception of perhaps vaccines, which technically aren't drugs anyway, are almost always used in response to a symptom and aren't "cures" per se. If pushed though we could easily say that asprin has proven to be a very effective cure for all sorts of problems. Anything from a headache to muscle strains and pulls, etc. Btw, asprin is "all natural" too.

Justin- great response.

Jim January 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

It only makes sense that if your back is out of line and is pinching or putting pressure on a nerve causing pain in your arm or leg that chiropractic care would help you. I have received great care for my shoulder when I was told by other doctors that I had rotator cuff damage when in fact is was my vertebra in my neck was misaligned. In a few treatments my shoulder was like new.

JoSeph Papalia DC DAAMLP January 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I've been in practice over 10 years and have worked with ortho's, neurologist and neuro-surgeons who refer there patients to ME (THE CHIROPRACTOR). You see, there is a huge frantic movement to undermined Chiropractic as non-scientific but I would be more than happy to email you 12,237 pages of research from around the world about Chiropractic benefits, most of which come from medical studies dating back to the 70s. Also, I can tell that the people who responded negative about chiropractic aren't of any intellect because they haven't done there research. Just call any, and I mean ANY malpractice carrier and ask who is the least dangerous and has the lowest malpractice rate. Also Chiropractors are now is some hospitals around the country. And if you call research, having a pharmaceutical rep or a lobbyist push an unproven drug (celebrex for starters) through the FDA (who can be bought by anyone) as your definition of research please educate your self before writing propaganda against a subject you know nothing about. ,

Joseph Papalia DC DAAMLP January 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Dear Justine, You mentioned that if you go to 10 different chiropractors you get 10 different diagnosis. If you go to 10 different medical doctors you will get 10 different diagnosis with 10 different medications. You see, you are speaking out of anger and lack of knowledge. Did you know that the bacterial resistant epidemic that is occurring is because people who had viral conditions many years ago were given anti-biotic which should have be prescribed for Bacterial issues not Viral issues. Now people are becoming resistant. Also, maybe you haven't read a news paper in the past 10 years. If you did, there is another epidemic occurring, and that is the abuse and over prescription of pain killers. Go to any MD and you can persuade them to give you any pain meds you want, especially if you have good insurance.
    the Chiropractic profession focuses on the WELL BEING of the body not the covering of symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I truly have nothing against medical doctors, because they are great when it comes to urgent care, and they are needed in our society. Its the dependency of medication that is the problem. You don't get a headache because you LACK Advil, and you don't get diabetes because you LACK Glucophage. Please take the time out to educate yourself, you will live a more prosperous life.

Drew January 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Chiropractic removes interference to the nervous system. Your nervous system controls every function your body has. Chiropractic aligns the spine to ensure that the body is as close to the vertical axis as possible. Without chiropractic I believe your body will degenerate faster and your innate intelligence will not function properly. I do not want my brain stem and spinal cord affected whether I ride moto or not. That is why I see a chiropractor regularly and will continue for the rest of my life. Chiropractors do not treat pain or cover up symptoms, if you think that so are not educated properly. Chiropractors remove nerve interference to allow the body to heal itself.

Johnny Moto January 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Well, well, well.......Chiropractic is rad for sure but most of you are un-aware of the only kind of Chirpractic care that actually works. Lets back up a bit though. I broke my neck, didn't severe my spinal cord, but instead 'snapped' a transverse process. The little 'wings' that jut out and are anchors for the Intra-transversari musculature that essentially links all of the transverse process' together and holds your spine in place. So, I had to have my C-4 and C-5 vertebrae fused, plated and screwed, Fucked up basically, excuse my language but I am beyond passionate about this stuff. in addition, I am a Physical Therapist so I know what I am talking about. So, the Chiro I go to, Dr. James Fiori in Santa Ana Ca is a flippin genius and a BLAIR Chiropractor. A highly specialized variety that focuses on CERVICAL care, exactly what I needed. The concept basically in a nutshell adjusts your Atlas/Axis, the top 2 bones in the structure and it has all of the other vertebrae falling into place once you are properly aligned. The top 3 vert's mirror the bottom 3 vert's so whatever is going on down below is happening up top and vice -versa. Let me put it this way...... if you have ever taken a 'header' you for sure are sublaxed in the Atlas/axis region. And if you have ever had that happen get yourself into 1st,a Blair trained Chiropractor or 2nd a N.U.C.C.A trained Chiropractor which stands for National Upper Cervical Chiropractor association. So totally different from a traditionally trained Chiropractor that they aren't even comparable. And I have plenty of friends that are 'regular' Chiro's that I would never let 'crack' my back. But, do your own research as you should be doing anyway.