Eli Tomac: In the Gym

by Editor

Eli Tomac works out with Ryan Hughes at the Ryno Power Gym.

Michael Dowd January 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm

This is what I keep preaching to every up and coming rider. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE! Save your money on all those expensive bike modifications and GET TO THE GYM!

Brian January 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm

They would be better off using a more strict technique to build strength. They are "throwing" the weights around using momentum to complete the lifts rather than strength. The dumbell presses would do more lying on a stationary bench rather than bouncing around on a ball. I realize they don't want bulk but as young and skinny as ET is that is not a worry. He is obviously not consuming excess calories. To gain weight be it fat or muscle you have to consume more calories than you burn. Heavier weights lifted properly will not only build muscle strength but tendons, ligaments, and bone as well.

SK January 11, 2013 at 7:37 pm

The workout looks stupid. They're swining and jumping around asking for an injury. Im in better shape than both of them. Off to get a doughnut and slice of pizza.

Brian January 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

@Brian, indeed you are describing a workout to build strength, but racers need to build strength AND stamina. True, there's something to be said for separating lifting from cardio, but there's nothing wrong at all with combining the two with dynamic movement. This, like CrossFit, is perfect for dirt riders. And obviously, Eli's results at the track speak for themselves.
    And after watching that, the competition better watch out. If you didn't notice, when everyone else in the gym had stopped, (including Ryno), Eli did another circuit. That's what will carry him to the finish in front of everyone else.

Casey Pons January 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I was wondering if John Tomac was Eli's Trainer. This looks like a well balance between cardio and muscle strength without the worry about bulking to limit flexibility.
    Now I know why Eli has outgrown that 250 in a couple years.
    Great Job!

Dcoonan January 12, 2013 at 5:03 am

Everything Ryan Hughes knows about elite strength and conditioning could be written on the back of a match box!!! A good rider for sure, but a fitness expert? I think not. Just cause he likes training doesn't mean he is qualified. Do some more study chief.

Eli Tomac on the other hand has excellent genetics and the right 'driven' personality to succeed.
    And for the love of god Rhyno put a shirt on - your not 15 anymore :)

Steve January 12, 2013 at 5:07 am

Good call!!!

Rhyno is an egomaniac.
    Motocross is better off without douche bags like him.
    He is probably a decent person, but not a good ad for home schooling.

Axelmoto70 January 12, 2013 at 5:50 am

Why do so many people lok for negatives and want to bag Ryano? I don't know the guy either. John Tomac ans Eli clearly believe Ryano knows something about training!!! That's good enough for me!!

The twisting and turning moves they are performing are all activating core strength in a big way!!! Core strength is key to riding quick and in control! It's working for Eli!!

Lawrence January 12, 2013 at 7:27 am

For anyone hating on Ryno, Hes been around the sport for years and can still probably beat all of you around the track and at the gym. Obviously his program with Eli is working considering hes killing it!

kris January 12, 2013 at 9:00 am

Whoever thinks that this isn't a great workout routine for mx is just plain ignorant! This isn't football! I always say the proof is in the results and you can't deny that Eli and all the top riders and top trainers are exercising this way and look at how the sport is being elevated to new level of speed and intensity.

JJJ January 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

dont understand the no muscle building stuff.....ET could put on 5 or 7 pounds of muscle and be a machine.....and still not WEIGH too much for the 250....How much did the fast 125 guys weigh?? bak in the day......as far as Ryno and his deal....its cool to me....the nutrition is a big part of his daily routine...that is huge......

brian January 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Not speaking of ET specifically but alot of these riders are fragile and could use more strength, and a little more mass. You can weigh alot more than 150 lbs and still have great cardio fitness and flexiblity. Somewhere between ET and Weston Peick is probably good. The idea that weight lifting hurts flexibility is a myth. If you get bodybuilder big you can run into muscle interference issues but muscularity itself doesn't inhibit flexibility and in many cases the lifting movements increase flexibility. Look at Tom Platz a former bodybuilder known for his massive legs. He remained very flexible.

brian January 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

You can build stamina in the weight room without using cheating movements or poor technique. One of the best ways is to simply not rest between sets. Super sets work great. One of my favorites is the 5-10-15. An example would be 5 reps of barbell bench press, 10 reps of incline dumbells, followed by 15 reps of cable flys with no rest in between. If you want to lean more toward stamina than strength do the same with 10-15-20.

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

I think you guys are missing one important thing about this video. This is one workout out of I'm sure many workouts through the year. I think it is unfair to look at one workout and assume that is all they do. I can't say I know a lot about Ryno's day to day training philosophies (when I asked several times over the years he was a little reluctant to elaborate) but one thing is for sure; Eli is extremely fit and I tend to like the more muscular body type for a rider than the more frail Tour De France look so many other riders have. Does Ryno take periodization in strength and cardio training as serious as I or some of the other trainers in the industry? Not sure and this video does nothing to tell me either way. It is simply a snapshot of one particular day's training.

I would also argue with those of you who say that just because Ryno was fast on a bike does not mean he knows his shit in the gym. I 100% believe that you can be as educated on a topic as anyone with a certification if you know how to pick up a book and read. If you have the passion and desire to learn then anything can be accomplished. To me, Ryno seems to have done plenty of studying and seems knowledgeable when it comes to fitness and nutrition. Do I think the guy is a little off his rocker and has trouble getting through the door with his ego? Sure, but that is no reason to discount his knowledge of riding and training. If I didn't think there was some value in this video I would not post it on this site.

I like the majority of the exercises shown except the rocking dumbbell chest press on the fitness ball. To me, the risk vs. reward is not there. I have been in the training industry for 15 plus years and I can say with 100% certainty, THOSE BALLS BREAK. I for one would not like to be the trainer responsible for hurting a championship contender (or any one else for that matter) because I put the athlete in a bad situation in the gym. If that ball breaks in that position with dumbbells directly above your face.....well, I think you get the picture.

Long hair is Hot, Not January 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

He obviously doesn't have an ego, look at his haircut... or lack thereof. He displays his humility with New York bums. Can't have an ego and look like a clown, or so I thought...