Labor Day Workout: The 20

Think you can go all out like the pros do for 20 solid minutes? Time to prove it in this all-out AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) workout. Want to make it feel more like what the pros experienced at an outdoor race? Take your workout out to the garage or out in the sun.

We will simply call this workout "The 20."

AMRAP for 20-minutes with 20 reps per exercise

The Movements:

Warm up with either a 1 mile run, a 5 mile bike, or 2000 meter Row or SkiErg

20 Air Squats
20 Hands off push ups
20 Butterfly sit ups
20 Kettlebell swings (15 to 30 lb.)
20 Pullups

Couple of Rules:

• Air Squats - quads have to go past parallel. In other words get those butts close to the floor!
  • Hands off pushups - For a push-up to count, you must touch your chest to the floor while lifting your hands off the ground.
  • Butterfly Situps - You must touch the floor in front of you when you come up and touch the floor behind/above your head when you go back down.
  • Kettlebell Swings - Pick a weight that you can swing 30 times. Weight shuld be between 15 and 30 lbs.
  • Pullups - Can use assistance band if needed.

How to do the challenge:

1. It's very easy to follow. Set a stop watch for 20-minutes.
  2. Perform 20 air squats, then immediately do 20 hands off push ups, then immediately do 20 butterfly situps, then 20 kettlebell swings, the 20 pullups.
  3. Once you complete the pullups, go back to the air squats and repeat the circuit until time runs out.
  4. Count your total number of reps for each exercise (or total number of circuits completed).

Post your results in the comment section. Let's see some videos people!

Before beginning any fitness program, always see a qualified healthcare provider for advice and to address any questions or concerns. The exercises presented on this website are for suggestion only and should not be substituted for medical diagnosis or treatment. Participate at your own risk and stop if you feel faint or experience shortness of breath.

Mike Voegele September 03, 2013 at 7:03 am

Did 3 complete circuits, officially ran out of time before my last set of pull-ups but went ahead and completed them. I did the pull-ups on my Total Gym, so they were all assisted because I do not have a regular pull-up bar. Great work out, I am sore this morning but feel good. I am 53 years young.

kristina A September 03, 2013 at 7:04 am

I had the Jeff Emig face. u know that I'm about to die look he had when he trained with Ryan Hughes & Tomac :D #emigface

Racer X Virtual Trainer September 04, 2013 at 5:40 am

I got 4 total rounds. Used a 25 lb kettlebell and pullups were assisted. I'm 46.

Ast September 04, 2013 at 4:27 pm

ran 1 mile warmup at 6mph(10 minutes) set the stopwatch and heart monitor and took off. I got 5 total rounds and made it to the kettlebell swings in my 6th round at the 20 minute mark. I finished out the swings and pullups at 22 minutes flat. im 45 and used a 30 pound kettlebell and all real pullups (no bands)..My form was starting to suck on the pullups and I had to take small breaks in the last 2 sets. Tough but very good workout. ahr was 155 bpm. Im adding this one to my workout folder.

Ast September 04, 2013 at 4:36 pm

By the way Tim, have you ever considered picking a workout that was submitted by one of us to use as one of the vt workouts? I have a few homemade ones that involve my concept 2 ,dumbbells ,pull up bar and such. Im sure many of the users also have some cool ones that would be fun to try out. Might be something cool to see what others are doing.

Racer X Virtual Trainer September 04, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Ast - First of WOW, those are some tall numbers. Especially with no assistance bands on the pullups. I would be relocated to 1 round with no assistance :)

And yes, I have actually asked before and received no takers. I would love to see and post some of your workouts. Send them my way. tim@racerxonline.com

Goff Willis September 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Great workout! I did 5 sets, with a little modification. Due to an old injury pull-ups are painfull(shocking mxers have nagging injuries) I added 40 lunges at the end and 2 min all out on the treadmill between each set. Almost puked but held it in, I didn't keep track of time, prob took about 30-40 min with warm up.
    Again thanks for putting all these workouts together, they help motivate me to workout!

Racer X Virtual Trainer September 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Awesome. Thanks for sharing Goff!