Motocross Replacement Workout: The Eliminator
by Racer X Virtual Trainer
Can't ride this weekend? No worries use this 20-minute high intensity workout as a "motocross replacement" workout. AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) style workouts are a great way to similate the high intensity of riding moto. Want to make it feel even more like a day at the track? Take your workout out to the garage or out in the sun.
This one is called the eliminator. Each round consists of the following. Row 250 meters, 12 hands off push-ups, 8 reps (each arm )kettlebell clean & press ,8 pull-ups or trx back rows, 8 box jumps (24"), 12 butterfly sit ups.
This is a user submitted workout from Gary Wolfer which he calls the Eliminator. Each round consists of the following: 250 meter row, 12 hands-off push-ups, 8 reps kettlebell clean & press (each arm), 8 pull-ups or TRX low row, 8 box jumps (24"), and 12 butterfly sit ups.
Warm up with either a 1 mile run, a 5 mile bike, or 2000 meter Row or SkiErg or other form of cardio
250 meter row (can substitute any high intensity cardio for 2 minutes like running or skipping rope)
12 Hands off push-ups
8 Kettlebell clean and press (click here for technique video) 16 total reps
8 pull-ups or TRX low rows
8 Box Jumps
12 Butterfly sit-ups
Couple of Rules:
- 250 meter row - Rowing is preferred but if you do not have access to a rower substitute in some form of high intensity cardio. Jump rope, treadmill, stationary bike, etc.
- Hands off push-ups - Your hands must leave the floor to count as a rep.
- Kettlebell claen and press - Pick a weight so that your speed of movement does NOT slow. 25 - 45 lb. 16 total reps.
- Pull-ups - do not use assistance bands. If you cannot complete with perfect form, opt for the TRX low rows.
- Box Jumps - If you don't have a box jump, perform plyometric tuck jumps.
- Butterfly sit-ups - Hands must touch the ground above your head and between your legs.
How to do the challenge:
- It's very easy to follow. Set a stop watch for 20-minutes.
- Do 250 meters on the rower, then immediately do 12 hands off push-ups, then immediately do 8 KB clean and press (right arm and then left), then 8 pull-ups, 8 box jumps, then the 12 butterfly sit-ups.
- Once you complete the sit-ups, go back to the rower and repeat the circuit until time runs out.
- Count your total number of reps for each exercise (or total number of circuits completed).
Post your results in the comment section. Let's see some videos people!
Before beginning any fitness program, always see a qualified healthcare provider for advice and to address any questions or concerns. The exercises presented on this website are for suggestion only and should not be substituted for medical diagnosis or treatment. Participate at your own risk and stop if you feel faint or experience shortness of breath.
That's it for now, until next time, good luck with your training and remember, if you have a question, log on to the Virtual Trainer Expert Forum and have your question answered by a panel of experts. In addition, be sure and check out the Racer X Virtual Trainer archive section. Your complete one-stop information zone for motocross fitness.