Strength Training for Motocross (Principles)

It's no secret that weight training is not a Racer's top priority. If it were, you would probably be looking at a different web site: one on body building not motocross. I certainly have never been able to figure out why guys that race motocross think that the benefit of weight training does not apply to them. I here the same old lame excuse over and over; weight training causes arm pump! We have already covered arm pump in a previous article, so if you want to learn all about what causes arm pump and its prevention click here. No doubt, if you train like a body builder, you will most likely develop arm pump and a multitude of other negative results. However, if strength training is entirely left out of your program, you may be missing out on more than just buff biceps and ripped abs. Strength training is a smart supplement to any racers program because it strengthens muscles and joints, which can not only help improve lap times but prevent injury as well. Any one can go fast for a lap or two on a smooth track, but when the track gets rough and you have to manhandle the bike, strength training will prove to be an invaluable asset. Do you think Ricky Carmichael is the master of saving a swap by being a weakling.  Remember the mudfest a few years ago at the Seattle SX when RC saved it through the whoop section and never went down?  That takes strength, especially on a 450!

The problem most racers have when they start to weight train is that they do the same old exercises that they learned from their high school football coach. Most think they are doing the right thing simply by increasing the number of repetitions and lowering the weight; however the standard gym-rat routine of bench press, bicep curls, military press, leg extensions and a few other well known exercises will not get the job done. No doubt these exercises are beneficial in making you look good; however they are much less effective at making you a better rider. One major problem in following the herd at the gym and performing typical exercises is that they can lead to a major strength imbalance not only between the upper and lower body but also between the front and back of your body. Unequal balances like these may even lead to an increase risk of injury by creating an imbalance at the joint. Motocross is tough enough on the body, so the last thing you want to do is increase your chance of injury before you even get on the bike.

Racers need a strength training program that targets key muscle groups and keeps them in balance. The following program is based on four basic principles that will no doubt improve not only your strength but your lap times. The program focuses on exercises that are total body movements that are sport specific to motocross.

The Principles

1. The Posterior Chain
    Concentrate on your back:
    The typical gym-rat exercises focus on the muscle groups that are clearly visible in the mirror; chest, arms, abs and quads. While working these muscle groups is important, it is equally important to work the muscle groups in the posterior chain (back, hamstrings, and calfs). The muscles in your back are as equally important in maintaining a proper riding stance as the chest, shoulders, and quads. A weak posterior chain will lead to a slumped posture and fatigue the chest, shoulders, arms, and quads more rapidly. A strength imbalance between the front and back of your body can lead to general fatigue and poor riding style as the race progresses. So, someone new to weight training that is lifting improperly will blame weight lifting as a cause of their arm pump when in actuality it was their choice of exercises and the way in which they were lifting.

2. Strong Core Muscles are Key
    Strong Core Muscles are Key:
    If you think core training is all about having a great six pack so that you can flex next summer when you take off your jersey, you would only be half correct. Strong core muscles are responsible for maintaining good posture and eliminating lower back pain, and act as the base of support for the entire body. Proper training of the core region is imperative to maintaining proper form and function during a race. If the core muscles are weak, a rider will alter his or her posture and riding position, therefore transferring work to the weaker shoulders and arms. When this happens, the arms, shoulders and even legs do more of the work and become fatigued quickly.

3. Hope this isn't What you had in Mind!
    Weight Train for Strength not Endurance
    : Motocross racers are experts at endurance training and therefore usually weight train for endurance (low weight, high reps.). But lifting heavier weights for fewer reps is necessary for building strength. Strong muscles increase the stability of your joints which reduces the wear and tear on ligaments, and will help you recover when a lot of strength is required to recover from a big swap or for the unfortunate time you come up short on a jump and case it. If you are afraid of bulking up, don't be. Body builders only wish it were that easy; lift some weights, get big. Fortunately (or unfortunately for the body builder) adding a significant amount of muscle requires a steady surplus of calories and workouts that focus on muscle size not performance. The proposed workouts, which are performance oriented, will certainly not bulk you up.

4. Concentrate on Total Body Movements: Since most people don't have a lot of spare time during the week, the proposed weight training program is designed to be quick and efficient. The key to an efficient total body strength program is to incorporate exercises that require the use of multiple joints versus isolation exercises. For instance, exercises like a step-up press, dead lift, and power clean, give greater overall strength benefits in less time than single-joint exercises like bench press or bicep curls. By performing exercises that are multi-joint oriented (and sport specific to motocross) you will be sure to gain the required strength while keeping gym time to a minimum.
Work the Plan
Perform workout 1 and workout 2 each once a week resting at least a day in between workouts. If you are racing, you will want to perform these workouts early in the week. Each workout combines five exercises of which the first three exercises should be completed as a circuit (i.e. do one set of each exercise and move on to the next without resting in between). Once you have completed one circuit of the three exercises, rest for a minute, get a drink and then repeat the circuit completing a total of three circuits. Next, alternate between exercises four and five with 30 seconds of rest in between each exercise (one set is complete when you have finished exercise four and then five.) Complete three sets of exercises 4 and 5. Use the heaviest weight that allows you to complete every rep of every set. You shouldn't finish the last set feeling like you could have done more.

Workout 1

Workout 2

These overall strength and conditioning exercises are intended for moderate to advanced levels of fitness. If you are a beginner or need some additional instruction, email VT and I will be sure and point you in the right direction. If you are able to work this routine into your normal workout schedule, I guarantee you will see results on and off the track. If you overlook strength training and use the lame old excuse that weight lifting causes arm pump, then you need to reevaluate and educate yourself on the benefits of strength training.

kyle December 07, 2010 at 8:15 pm

hi im just starting racing im twelve and a cuple of my freinds have just been telling to do what im learning in gym but as you said it should be more targeted around mottocross so even though im twelve id like to know a cuple things i could do to help with preformance on the track.

hope to hear back soon and thx
    kyle

Racer X Virtual Trainer December 07, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Kyle - Follow the program that we are presenting everyday here on Virtual Trainer. Doesn't matter that you are not starting on time. All the workouts are archived for you to follow. Start here.

Brianna January 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hi , I'm 16 and want to learning motocross but to do that I want to prove to my parents that i can take it seriously. So i was wondering if by following these workout routines will that helpmeget started. Seeing as tho i have never riden before?

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

Brianna, the best way to show your parents you are ready to race is become a student of the sport. Watch every race, start running, cycling, training, going to the races, getting good grades, and proving to them that you are responsible enough for a bike. And above all beg, beg, beg, beg....:)

mike January 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

That article helps out huge I'm 21 and have been weight training since I was 16 and now I'm finally in a place in my life where I'm able to get serious about motocross and I want that edge is there any other articles I should check out?

martin April 27, 2012 at 7:08 am

Hi.I'm 28 years old and love to ride and race motocross. my question is I work as a bricklayer so my job is phiscal and I'm always tired from long hours what can I do to keep energy levels up so I can stay motovated to work out because it is hard to find time to ride untill the weekend but need good home workouts

Racer X Virtual Trainer April 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Martin, that is a tough question and really there is no good answer. The only thing I can suggest is to sleep as much as possible to keep your energy levels up and make sure you are eating really goo. I know eating well is hard on a construction site but it's really important. The other thing would be to focus on short (20 minute) hi intensity workouts like the ones I have been posting every Sunday. Good luck with your training!

Nikki May 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hi Tim, I'm 13 years old and my dad said he will get me a bike in 8th grade. So I wanted to start physicaly training for racing until then, what do I do to find these workouts?

Racer X Virtual Trainer May 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Nikki -
    What do you mean, "what do you do?" The workouts are linked from within the article.

Steven May 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

hi, my name is steven im 18 and i get arm pump so easy after a couple of laps and i would like to know how to prevent it from happening so i can stay in the race

Racer X Virtual Trainer May 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Steven - Search the site there are several article on the topic. If you have more specific questions please join the forum and ask your questions there. Thanks!

Ignacio May 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Hi, would it be the same if I do ATV motocross or are there any differences compared to the bike? Thanks!

Racer X Virtual Trainer May 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I would say this article equally applies to MX and ATVs alike.

JOHNNY June 02, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Hi i am 12 and im going to be starting to race and when i ride the bottom of my back starts to hurt ,would you know how to prevent that from hapining.

Racer X Virtual Trainer June 03, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Johnny - This could be caused by so many things. Do me a favor and post this question on the forum so we can get into more detail and the rest of the trainers can jump in and offer their opinion. http://www.racerxvt.com/phpBB/

Jacob August 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I am in races i was wondering how i could become a pro racer in motocross

alex October 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

when do you think its time to move up a bike because i have a cr85 and i am 13 years old and my height is 5'4

Liam October 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Shot in the dark this one but ah well, right guys I'm 18 used to do mx but stopped for a while but now I'm thinking of getting back into it but it won't be for a while, but I'm thinking of doing a really enduring race next year (weston beach race) so I need to get my self in shape for just the endurance side of it! what would you advice me to do??

Racer X Virtual Trainer October 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

Liam - In a month we will be offering a premium training section that will be perfect for you. Click refresh on the site until you see a banner along the top to sign up to be notified. Otherwise you can follow Coach Seiji's 19-week free training program. Click "Workouts" in the menu and "Free Training". thanks and good luck!

alex November 02, 2012 at 9:05 pm

what should i do so i wont be nervous at the gates of every race.

Racer X Virtual Trainer November 05, 2012 at 11:14 am

Alex - Post your question on the forum. email me at tim@racerxonline.com and I will register you.

Brian November 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

When is a good time to ride while on this program?

Racer X Virtual Trainer November 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Brian, do all riding first and then strength train. You want to have the most energy available for riding.

Lawsy December 15, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hello,
    I am 13 and I'm pretty good at motocross, I basically run top 5 at the Australian championships. I'm turning 14 this year so I'm getting bigger and I'm also moving onto the 125, so I really want to start training seriously, but I'm unsure of where to start. What exercises and routines would you recommend me doing? I have been racing since I was 3 so my shoulders and quads are already pretty strong, but how could I improve them? My back also gets sore from riding my 85, is that because I'm to big for it or can I fix it with training? Thanks

Racer X Virtual Trainer December 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

Lawsy,
    this website has all kinds of articles and help on training. All you have to do is be willing to read and learn. Check out the workouts menu above and take a look at the 19-wek free training program that we posted. In a few weeks the premium training section should be complete, so for $20 bucks per month you can join the community and have workouts emailed to you every day!

Lawsy December 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hello,
    Thanks for that but just one more question, at the Australian championships this year I tore my suprisantis tendon in my shoulder. Kinda of a shot in the dark but do you know Any exercises to improve it?
    Thanks

Racer X Virtual Trainer December 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

Lawsy,
    Can you do me a favor and post your question on the Virtual Trainer Expert Forum? That way all of the assigned experts on the forum will have a chance to respond to your question. I'll make sure Dr. Augustine sees this and offers his opinion. Thanks and see you on the board!

Giotis January 06, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hello
    I 'll gonna race this year and for 1st time i make weight training(low weight 12-14 reps) like you say 4 times a week 2 times running 3 miles and one sunday i rest.So is this training program ok for a month?After that program i will make 3 days mx practice and 3 days bike,1 rest.I want to ask too this month that i make a prepare weight training for MX races it mustn't go for ride?I mean i spend 6 days of the week for weight-running training ,its cool to ride in a MX track between that month or it will be a failure, a too much thing for my body?
    ty a lot-soz for my english ;)

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 06, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Giotis
    Can you do me a favor and post your question on the Virtual Trainer Expert Forum? That way all of the assigned experts on the forum will have a chance to respond to your question. Thanks and see you on the board!

Registration is currently disabled so send me an email and I will sign you up. tim@racerxonline.com

Daniel February 08, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hello Tim.. im from South Africa and i got my bike in June and i am no just starting to get the hang of it.. Im 17 and I am 100 kg.. I want to take it to the next level.. what must i do??
    Thanks

Racer X Virtual Trainer February 09, 2013 at 7:13 pm

If you are serious about your training, then I think for 20 bucks a month you should join the premium training community. Click on the link and check it out. Its a GREAT program for 20 bucks. Andrew Short's trainer writes all of the programs and we plan to expand by adding even more exclusive content soon. The best part is there is NO RISK on your part. The first month is free to try!

jesse February 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm

each of these two work outs is 5 exercises, ten reps each, and should be repeated 3 times. it doesnt seem like it would take very long. about how long should a strength training work out last?

Fred March 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Good Day Tim

I have been doing the 2 x workouts for the last month and have really been enjoying it.

I just have a question regarding the right amount of reps. We are trying to train for strength rather than muscle mass, but surely 10-12 reps are prescribed in the two workouts are a bit excessive? I have read on quite a few forums that the optimal amount of reps for strength training is between 5 -8 reps. Is there a reason why the reps are 10?

I was also thinking about adding squats to my programme?

Regards

Fred

Racer X Virtual Trainer April 01, 2013 at 9:15 am

Fred,
    I need to revisit this article and add some points of clarification. This article was written for the general audience and was meant to focus on muscle imbalances. The amount of reps you do actually depends on the time of year and what your goal is. You are correct that 10-14 reps is normally set for muscle growth (or hypertrophy), 2-6 is for max strength, and 30-35 is muscular endurance. If you are focusing on max strength then you are correct to change the rep count to 4-6. But if you are truly worried about max strength (which is almost NEVER a riders limiting factor on the bike) then I would use the workouts presented here for 4-6 weeks (with the reps being 12-14) and then move into a true max strength phase with exercises like squats, dead lifts, etc. A true max strength phase should also be done in straight sets as opposed to circuits.

I would also highly recommend the new premium training community we are offering on the site. The community takes all of the guess work out of your training. The cost is 20 bucks per month and the first month is free so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. The training community specifically addresses questions like yours by developing complete training plans and not just suggesting you add two workouts like presented above.

Fred April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hi Tim

Thanks thats great advice. Will look into joining as soon as I get my university studies out the way.

Thanks for clarifying my questions.

Regards

Fred

dustin May 19, 2013 at 11:10 am

I am a 13 yearold male and I have ridden bikes my whole life. I have a few decent sized jumps at my house and go to my local track sometimes but have never raced before and I really want to. I have a suzuki 2stroke 100 b the way. How hard of a time would I have?

Racer X Virtual Trainer May 20, 2013 at 9:23 am

Dustin, I would love to help you out but honestly I have no idea what you are asking. I assume you are asking "how hard of a time would you have racing"" The answer is, not a hard time at all. At the races there are classes and you would enter the beginners class.

James June 06, 2013 at 9:21 am

When I ride motocross the side of my hips start to ache after a few hours I think it's from holding at the boots in the corners what should I do to stop my hips hurting
    Thanks

Racer X Virtual Trainer June 06, 2013 at 4:17 pm

James - Do me a favor and post this question on the Virtual Trainer forum. email me your username and password and I will set up your account.

Tim@Racerxonline.com

Coral July 09, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hello I just want to know if you can give me a workout for me ! Im girl with 15 years

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 09, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Carol,
    I would suggest browsing the website (there are several workouts) or joining the Premium Training Community and receive daily workouts via email.

Travis July 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Im 15 and Iv been racing since i was 6 i ride about 2 times a week and i train every day but still get arm pump. I know that diet, breathing correctly, lifting, water and gripping the bike a lot with your legs helps i have good form and everything but i still after about 10 hard laps i get really cramped and i have to rest for about 45minutes i want to be able to do around 15-20 laps without getting cramped no other muscles get sore except for my forearms. I need to know how to build up lots of strenght in my arms like excercises and stuff i can do cause when im tired i dont ride at my best and i have gotten really hurt.

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Couple of article for you to read.

DBX October 01, 2013 at 2:26 am

Strength Training is absolutely essential for the development of riders, so it's nice to see you guys sharing this information for them!

www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk

gavin December 07, 2013 at 12:35 pm

These workouts seem simple. Is this basically the workout that pro's do? I plan to go lro and would like to know if this could get me there

Racer X Virtual Trainer December 08, 2013 at 10:48 am

Gavin - If by "simple" you mean that the exercises don't require you to balance on one foot and juggle bowling balls, then yes, they are simple. I know it's very in-vogue to do crazy exercises that "look" difficult. You do not have to do all kinds of crazy stuff to make a workout "hard".

If you plan to go pro, I'd suggest one of two things. You need a programmed and well thought out training program. Two ways to get this. One way is to join the VT premium training community for $19.95 per month. The second is to hire me to do all of your programming online. If you are interested in this option, shoot me an email at tim@racerxvt.com. Thanks!

Curtis January 20, 2014 at 8:41 am

Hi im 20 years old and ive raced for 5 years. Started when i was 14 and unfortunatly ended when i was a couple weeks shy of turning 19. I crashed and broke my back at the t5 and t6 area. Doctors said there was a chance i wouldnt ever walk again but i pulled through and im pretty well back to normal now. Its been a year and a half since ive racedand ive lost alot of my muscle tone and endurance over that time. Even after my crash i wanted to keep racing so bad but wasnt allowed becuase i was still living at home and my parents forbid it. So what i want to know is what kind of shape i have to be in so that my body is in the right shape for me to ride and for my parents to feel more secure about me racing again. I would even consider paying a personal trainer to get my body to the level i need to be at. Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks
    Curtis

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 20, 2014 at 9:20 am

Curtis,
    Sorry to hear about your injury but glad to hear that you have fully recovered. Getting in shape is a great place to start and for 20 bucks per month we have a pretty good program to help you do just that. Check it out and see if it is right for you. The first month is free so you really have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

Curtis January 21, 2014 at 11:06 am

this is Curtis again, and I read the workout plans and seen that I have to do workouts on the bike. I live in Ontario Canada and cant ride due to the snow and have no time to go to an indoor track seeing that there isn't one near me. if I skip the riding workouts is that going to have much affect?

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Skipping riding workouts is never ideal but you have to work with what you have. It is recommended that if you cannot ride that you do a high intensity workout that mimics the demands of motocross. See the workouts listed under the Workouts-Motocross Replacement Workouts listed in the menu. It is not ideal but it will get you through until the weather breaks and you are able to ride again.

Olly March 16, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Hi my name is olly and I am 16 years old and I drive a TM 250cc I have all ways found it difficult to lift the bike at certain points in a race it may sound obvios but I don't enjoy weight training so could u sergest an ulternate solution to the problem of getting stronger and as fast as possible

tyler March 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

im a offroad racer. (msxc and gncc) I run for 2-3 hours and I was wondering how to get in better shape. as of know I ride a bicycle on a trainer for about an hour a day followed by some running and weight workouts. but im still getting somewhat tired. I ride a 2013 yz 250f. any suggetions?

Racer X Virtual Trainer March 19, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Tyler, I have two options for you.

1. Read everything you can on this website. There is enough information that you should be well educated if you read and study. Check out the section specifically for off-road training. http://www.racerxvt.com/category/virtual-trainer-off-road

2. Join the premium training community and get workouts delivered to your inbox every morning. Takes all the guess work out of trying to figure out a training plan on your own. Cost is a low $19.95 per month and the first month is free. http://www.racerxvt.com/premium

Jordan May 11, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Hi I'm 18 and I want to start motocross and I never been so serious about this sport like I will out 200% into it but I'm wondering is it to late for me to start

Racer X Virtual Trainer May 12, 2014 at 7:09 am

Never too late to start. Good luck!

Amy May 15, 2014 at 8:18 am

Hey I'm Amy and I'm 13 years old I wanna race but I don't know how to go full speed on my 85 plez help me

hadyn sharp May 22, 2014 at 10:26 am

i started racing when i was 9 and now i ride a yz 85. it is a MONSTER. now i am 11

amy you pull the throtal back

Matt June 16, 2014 at 11:57 am

I'm 250 I just want to know an I to heavy to start motocross like I am trying to lose weight to I just want to know like a good weight goal so I can try to get there

sebastian July 07, 2014 at 5:13 pm

hi im 18, have been training on a rmz250 for 2 mounths and i will try this program some weeks now. I'am quite fit becouse i have been lifting before but my problem on the track is in my hands, only part of my body thats stopping me is my hands and now i dont mean my actual grip ( my grip is very strong) but my hands hurt like hell is it becouse iam not used to this type of challange to my body or is there any way to make this dissapear? Thanks in advance!

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 10, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Only way to make it stop is to ride more. Ice your hands afterwards if they are sore to relieve the pain and inflammation.

http://www.africanpartybeads.com/ July 19, 2014 at 6:11 am

Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to
    be on the net the easiest factor to have in mind of. I say to you, I
    certainly get annoyed at the same time as other folks think about
    concerns that they plainly don't understand about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as neatly as outlined out the whole thing
    without having side effect , other folks can take
    a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

cerrajeros 24 horas Usera July 20, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hello to all, because I am actually eager of reading this blog's post to be updated regularly.
    It includes pleasant information.