Sunday's Post Supercross Challenge: Oakland

If you are like me the excitement of supercross on Saturday night keeps me revved up well into Monday. To help blow off some steam and get a feel for what the men of supercross go through each weekend, we will present a different challenge each and every Sunday through out the season. The workouts are 20-minutes long (approximately the length of a 450 main) and consist of simple exercises, many of which require little to no equipment. So lace up those shoes and get ready to do some work.

This week, we had the Metal Mulisha's Brian Deegan stop by and demonstrate 1 round of the challenge. Brian was able to pump out 1 round in 2-minutes 25-seconds so, with 10-second transitions and assuming he could keep the same pace, Brian was on track to complete 8 rounds.

Phoenix Challenge
Anaheim 2 Challenge

The Workout
Today's workout consists of four exercises: air squats, hands off push-ups, butterfly sit-ups, and kettle bell swings. Check out the video below as Charles Dao (Justin Brayton's trainer) explains the challenge and then Brian takes you through one round of the workout. Set your timer for 20-minutes and see how many rounds you can complete before the timer goes off. Go as hard as you can and each time you get tired remember that on the track no one lets you pull over and rest. The Oakland challenge is up and ready to kick your butt!

1/26/13

lundy February 08, 2013 at 7:27 am

How heavy was the kettle ball?

Racer X Virtual Trainer February 09, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Not sure (probably a 25 lb KB). The key is for you to pick a KB that you can swing 20 times AT THE SAME PACE. The key is the pace or speed of the movement. If you pick a weight that you start to significantly slow on rep 15, then it is too heavy. And don't pick a weight that does not challenge you like 10 lbs or something like that. Most people will be in the 25 - 45 lb range.

Racer X Virtual Trainer February 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Wow, that challenge is ...well.....challenging :) This old dude could only manage 4 rounds.

Ast April 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Just now getting around to trying this workout. 7 rounds in 19.30. Those pushups were the worst part . Round 6 and 7 I had to pause a few times in the pushups. Good session ...Its a keeper..

Racer X Virtual Trainer November 11, 2013 at 10:10 am

One of my riders, Chandler Lindsay completed 7 full rounds! 18 years old, A rider.

#54 January 06, 2014 at 10:35 am

Just compleated 6 full rounds, good exercise :-)

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 06, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I managed 4 rounds plus 10 sit-ups....So I improved from last year. That's always good when you hit my age!

Scott January 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Do I have to do the air squats correctly or can I do them like the guy in the video?

Scott January 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

That was a pretty crappy comment. I would delete it if I could. Sorry

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 26, 2014 at 4:36 pm

What is it about the squat that you think is so bad? It may not be perfect but it looks okay to me.

Kris January 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Scott is right, squat technique was horrible. Deegan basically doing a partial squat and he is bending way forward at the hips and not using any legs. You can tell because his shins stay vertical.

Correct squatting technique involves an upright torso while breaking at the knees and hips and proper depth is when the crease of your hips is below your knee

kris January 27, 2014 at 11:05 am

6 rounds, 20 squats. Definitely going to keep this workout in the rotation!

Scott January 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Kris explained it perfectly.

I didn't realize it was Deegan and when I thought about it and the injuries he's had, I thought that he might have some mobility issues that were stopping him from doing a squat correctly.

I also thought that if I was face to face with you or Deegan, I wouldn't have said it that way. Sorry

It's a great workout that will get your HR up. Thanks for posting it.

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Scott and Kris, you guys are correct and thanks for being considerate and respectful. Goes a long way in my opinion these days.

I wouldn't exactly call his squat horrible. He could go a smidge deeper (I should have placed a ball on the floor for him to touch with his butt) and yes he leans forward a bit but overall I think it is fine. Especially in the context of this workout. It's a challenge, so typically form will not be perfect. Plus, Brian may have some mobility issues that we are not aware of due to injury and such. Plus, he basically walked in the gym and I asked him to do the workout. No warm-up or anything. Just straight to film.