Sunday's Post Supercross Challenge: Phoenix

If you are like me the excitement of supercross on Saturday night keeps me revved up well into Monday. To help blow off some steam and get a feel for what the men of supercross go through each weekend, we will present a different challenge each and every Sunday through out the season. The workouts are 20-minutes long (approximately the length of a 450 main) and consist of simple exercises, many of which require little to no equipment. So lace up those shoes and get ready to do some work. First up, Phoenix!

The Workout
Today's workout consists of three exercises: the burpee box jump, pull-ups, and V-ups. Check out the video below as Charles Dao (Cole Seely's trainer) explains the challenge and takes you through one round of the workout. Set your timer for 20-minutes and see how many rounds you can complete before the timer goes off. Go as hard as you can and each time you get tired remember that on the track no one lets you pull over and rest. So let's do this!

1/13/13

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm

4.5 rounds for me. Not sure what was worse. The pull-ups, burpees, or v-ups.....

David 116 January 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

8 round in 19:38m, damn this was hard... I might enter Phoenix for 2014... Thanks coach seiji!!

DanB January 15, 2013 at 8:13 am

I did 4 and a bit, but did every rep of every set. 8 sets sounds freakish!

Ast April 09, 2013 at 7:19 pm

This workout is nasty ! I got 6 rounds and wanted no part of trying for a 7th. Out of all these workouts this is by far the most demanding for me. Those burpee box jumps just wore me down. I think I'm ready to give this another try soon.

CrossFitter January 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

See, CrossFit isn't always about using weights......

Aaron January 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I went for a 5.5 mile run at 7min-flat pace after work, then came home and saw this...damnit.
    5 rounds + 10 burpee box jumps.

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 14, 2014 at 7:30 am

Man Aaron, those are some pretty tall numbers. Great job!

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

One of my riders (Austin Root) was able to complete 5 full rounds.

Vince Giancana January 14, 2014 at 2:02 pm

This is not related to this post but its the most recent post so I you would probably see my comment. I'm curious if you have done a post specifically on Base 2 cardio training? The strength trainign for motocross: Peridization goes into depth about Maximum strength phase of training. I am just interested in the duration to aim for at Base 2, Obviously in zone 2 heart rate is from 60-70% which personally falls from 144-153BPM, What would you recommend for duration. Thanks.

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 14, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Vince - Do me a favor and post this on the VT forum (the forum is in the menu). You will need to send me a request to join but once you do I'll get you registered and we can talk about this topic. Thanks!

Lewis Stein January 15, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I'll do this on Saturday.. Im hoping my numbers are up there because this is right up my alley. The goal is 8 or better... I'll be sure to chime in and let y'all know.... :)

Lewis Stein January 22, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Ahhhh dude I only made it 6 rounds, 7 burpee box's... those things really start biting ya I'll tell ya! I really liked that one.. maybe I'll use that workout now and then to judge my level of fitness haha.. i love how total body it is.. I was hoping for more.. soon soon

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 22, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Lewis, 6 rounds is pretty tall. I agree, the burpee box jumps are definitely the limiter. It's funny bc burpees by themselves are doable and box jumps by themselves are doable but, damn if they are not tough when you combine them!

Marc Robertson January 27, 2014 at 6:37 am

Never done a burpee in my life! Jeez... I changed up the reps a little and don't have a pull up bar, but substituted. Also added in the burpee push up on the finger tips, shocked the forearm. Thought it was very affective for the first time doing a work out like this. Heart rate maxed out about 172. Next day had me sore like I rode a moto or two. Thanks!

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 27, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Marc - If you've never done a burpee, I'm sure you struggled a bit with the burpee box jump. Those are def. tough! Modify as needed and thanks for sharing!