Why You Got Fat

by Editor

For decades we've been told gaining and losing weight is all about the calories. Just one little problem: the research says otherwise. Diabetics undergo dramatic weight changes when they adjust their insulin levels -- and so do you. Your diet determines how much insulin your body will produce over time. From the documentary "Fat Head."

Here is a great article in the New York Times on "What Really Makes us Fat."

Dante July 05, 2012 at 10:57 am

Rubbish! This is just another fad movie to make money!!! "Greedy" fat cells? wtf!!!

kris July 05, 2012 at 11:11 am

I don't know about the "greedy fat cells" but I do know that I feel better when I limit starch carbs to breakfast and post workout.

paul July 05, 2012 at 11:21 am

i wasted 3 minutes to watch this crap ...most of the articles on here I learn something

Guy July 05, 2012 at 12:31 pm

If you believe this, you probably have been through every fad diet on the market.

It's simple, calories in, calories burned. Any excess is stored as fat. When you eat, food doesn't always go straight to fat cells.

Matt July 05, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Must be a bunch of dumb youngsters posting on here. Get a little older and you'll see how not all calories are the same.

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 05, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Calories are definitely not all created the same. And I for one think the movie is great.....otherwise I would not have posted it. It is a great way to illustrate what is going on at the cellular level with fat, carbs, insulin, etc.

did you read the link at the bottom of the page?

Kyle July 05, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Sounds like a bunch of angry old fat dudes complaining to me! ...for most it's the increase in beer and reduction of activity as you get older!

M Doyne July 06, 2012 at 4:03 am

There are some hang ups I have with this the theory that eating fat doesn't make you fat, but the fundamentals behind it are pretty solid.

To put it simply Insulin tells your body to store fat and excess carbs create elevated insulin levels. These are solid facts.
    Your body will use the excess fat for metabolic processes when insulin is low, rather than storing it.

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 06, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Kyle - Angry old fat dude???? Really? Have you looked around the track lately and noticed a HUGE increase in overweight kids? It's a problem whether you like to admit it or not!

Guy July 06, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Yes, EXCESS carbs create elevated insulin levels. That is the key, EXCESS.

People need to listen a bit more carefully. And read more carefully, There is a huge scare about sugar right now like it's the devil,! Just don't eat too much. Moderation, my friends, moderation.

Too much of anything is bad for you, even water.

People with diabetes have a system that is all out of whack, so comparing them to people with a regular system is nonsensical.

I am not overweight, I am just tired of people trying to make money off of people's fear and stupidity.