Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Hi,
Ok, last year I was running and RMZ 290cc in the MX1 Class and did pretty good and was moved up to a higher class for this year.

Now my question is :- This year I am running the same chassis but with a 350cc engine in it so basically it's only got heavier by 1 or 2 pounds in weight, I have been doing more weights to gain strength for the extra power of the bike and being in a faster class and also longer races but I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing.

As the bike is not really any heavier should have I just stuck with the training I was doing last year?

Many Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 am 

I think the question you need to answer is how much more strength do you need to gain. And the next question, how much time do you have to gain the strength before the season begins. If you are moving up a class which is faster and longer, then you will need to also concern your self with aerobic capacity and be able to maintain a higher intensity for longer time obviously. Problem with this, is you cannot improve all of these qualities at once. For you, without really knowing anything about your fitness profile, I would suggest doing something similar that has worked for you in the past. When you go out and race, pay attention to what you need to work on...Example, if you feel like strength and intensity are your strong points but fade late in moto's then that means your overall work capacity may be your weak point (of course unless it has something to do with bike set up or nutrition)...It is an ever changing ongoing process so keep learning, analyzing, and adapting.

Prepare for Success!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

I do not think you need to add more strength training just b/c you are on a slightly bigger bike. I agree with Joel, do what brought you success in the past. And remember....max strength is almost NEVER a limiter in motocross.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm 

Hey Guys,
Really appreciate the feedback, my workout is basically the same as last year I just upped a few exercises such as squats, motocross push ups and my core to try and maximise on the foundation that I already had hoping this would help me in the races in my new class.

It doesn't seem to have hurt my peformance as I still get quicker through out each race but the main issue I'm having is my head, i'm still mentally strong and push all the way to the chequers but during the race I'm sort of on auto-pilot. Let me explain, last year I would be thinking all the way through my races....i.e where to pass, gear changes....etc this year I don't even know what gear I'm in most of the time.

There's three things I can think of that could be the problem, see if you agree or can tell me which one I need to change please :-

1) My recovery drink, Last year I was using a all in one protien + carb milk mix called Nutrisport Protein + Complex Carbs All-In-One which seemed fine but now and again I would feel abit rundown so this year I changed to a fruit punch style drink called Nutrisport Energy Boost 4:1 still a protien + carb mix but less protien now I feel good after racing and training all the time but I seem to have lost about 5Llbs in weight which seemed to be good in one way as I'm running alot faster by about 1min but also I could be running abit on my reserves to much as I'm a lean guy anyway.

2) I have dropped red meat from my diet as I hear it's a good thing to do so I just eat chicken, turkey, and tuna meat wise, which I guess could also be a factor in my weightloss.

3) Being in a new class with new riders, is it just that I'm not relaxed like I was last year or is it something else you may have spotted.

Thanks Again :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:14 pm 

Weston you seem to be a pretty interesting person...The auto pilot thing is common among racers as well as other athletes in various sports as well. Probably has nothing to do with the supplements or cutting out red meat (which is not as bad as you think depending on how your body digests it). Typically you will have to practice this during the week in being able to control your emotions, staying cool under intense situations. You have to identify riding at sprint speeds and riding relaxed and be able to switch out of these modes during a practice session during the week. This will allow you to control your emotions during a race by having a grasp on what is going on inside your mind and nervous system. If not, this can put you into an auto pilot mode in intense situations. This happens a lot to when people are going through the physical training doing high intensity circuits and intervals too frequently and it's put their body into a middle ground similar to auto pilot mode and the training doesn't serve a purpose of what its initially intended for....Again, from what your telling me this is my best "guess" on your issue as it could be a million other things as well..

Prepare for Success!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:19 pm 

Awww.....Tim, Your making me blush....lol :D
I'm just someone that wants to be the best I can be while I'm in the sport I love.
When I started back racing and coming to this forum I was 37, I'm now 40 racing against guys half my age and I want to be as competitive as I can be, my first 2 seasons I had big crashes halfway through which put me out but last year I finish my first full season and came 3rd in my championship and this year as I said earlier I'm now racing faster and much more experienced guys.
I work 2 jobs to put myself and bike on the start gate and I just want to know I am one of the fittest guys there.

I never stop looking for things to improve myself and my bike but I'm not one of those guys that just jumps on any new fad that the pro's seem to be doing I always keep my foundation pretty much the same, I'm self motivated and I push hard in my training and my practice days and even harder in my races because when I decide to hang up my boots I want to know I left nothing on the table and be able to walk away with no regrets.

Thanks for your help,

Weston384 :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Weston - I think you meant Joel was making you blush. He has a way of doing that LOL. But seriously though, you seem like the kind of guy who is trainers dream come true. You work hard, you study, you listen, and you want to get better. That's a great combination. Keep up the good work!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm 

Hi Tim,
Thanks for that means alot coming from someone that must deal with hundreds of riders and I'll do my best to keep pushing forward.

Thanks Again,

:) .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm 

Hi Tim,
So I realise that this post got kinda put to bed but I'm in a bit of a mess with my cardio now....I think.

Trying not to drag this out too long but basically below is the cardio I started with at the beginning of the year:-

Monday :- 40 min road ride

Thursday :- 24min run followed by 21min row

I was using this through my first three races but found that I seemed to be down on intensity and now I'm in a faster class I felt it was something I needed so I reverted back to what I was doing last year which was:-

Monday:- 24min run followed by 21 min row

Thursday:- 24min run followed by 21min row

My intensity has raised some and from the beginning of the year I have dropped my best lap times by 9 seconds but now I fading with about 2 laps to go in my motos so my question is:-

Do I add the cycle back into my workout to give me the extra endurance and hope I can keep my intensity level high enough?

Being in the middle of my season it's a tough decision but I just want to get things right and like I've said before I want to be the best I came be when that gate drops and with being in a faster class and longer motos I just need some advice please.

Many Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Weston,
The best advice I can give you is to joint the Premium Training community. All of your training problems will go away and no longer will you have to guess or wonder if what you are doing is working. For $20 bucks per month, you get workouts emailed to you that are developed by Andrew Short's trainer, Coach Seiji. That is the bargain of the century!

Beyond that, we can still try to help as best we can on this forum, but I will need way more information than just "Monday :- 40 min road ride, Thursday :- 24 min run followed by 21 min row". What are your heart rates, intensity levels, volumes for the week, etc.

Without a full program setup (like what you get in the premium training) you are just guessing at what will or will not work. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of free info on the site that will allow you to put together a very effective program but without the ability to dive in and really see what you are doing, it's just guessing on my part. With the premium training plan, all of your workouts are logged in a calendar which Coach Seiji and I can look at to determine what is best for you.

Image Image