Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Base 2 Cardio help?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm 

I'm curious if you have done a post specifically on Base 2 cardio training? The strength training for motocross: Peridization goes into depth about Maximum strength phase of training. I am interested in the duration to aim for at Base 2, Obviously in zone 2 heart rate is from 60-70% which personally falls from 144-153BPM, What would you recommend for duration.

Background.
Weekend warrior, ride 1-2 days during week. First season in +25. Complete paleo diet, I follow periodize cardio/strength program very close to your program just specific movements for my body. During AA I followed the foundation training from Eric Goodman (Changed my life! Honestly besides cutting sugar, foundation training is the best decision of my life so thank you.) just did some cardio for fun with out the heart rate meter. the last month during muscular transition period I kept up with foundation and added an upper body component. All Base 1 Endurance was accomplished between running, stationary bike, and swimming. Base 1 endurance went extremely well and easy. Now I am in my max strength second week, its going well beating numbers from last year. This is where my question comes in. How long should I try to hold my heart rate in Zone 2 while doing cardio this month. I don't want to do it long and over stress my body for the next lift, but I obviously want to get maximum results. Last off season, during this phase and into PE phase I over trained three times and had to miss time recovering. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Base 2 Cardio help?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Vince - Are you a member of the VT premium training community? If not, you may want to seriously consider it since all of these types of questions are answered. The plans are only $19.95 per month and the first month is free. Worth at least considering!

I'll be sure and let Coach Seiji know about your question. Thanks!

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:40 pm 

Need to know total weekly hours of training available, duration of atual competition event and how many weeks you have done Base training thus far this season. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

Thanks for the response. Hours available to train is maximum, approx 2 hours 3 days a week and around an hour the other 4 days, I have more time this is just how long it takes me. Lift days are Mon,wed, Fri. Riding is done at 15 minute motos average around eight a night once a week. Actually competition length is your standard 5 lap motocross race so about 20 minutes. My base training went for five weeks. consisted of 1 hr 15 min stationary bike rides. I swam once a week but don't have heart data so I don't count it.

Thanks coach, I am a fan of what you do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm 

My opinion would be to drop a lift day and add more cardio for sure. You have limited time so basically get as much base level cardio you can outside of other cardio as your program dictates. Your 10 or so total hours per week and race duration would mean that really the longest cardio bout only needs to be 1.5 hours. Also not sure why you go 8x15 at the track. Would be better to throw some longer motos in there if possible and some sprint laps too, just my opinion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 am 

Thanks for your help coach. I will try some longer Motos. 8x15 is due to big bikes 15 minis 15 at indoor track n Michigan, no where to go till spring.