Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: C2 Rower Help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 am 

I just bought a C2 Rower Model D and got it yesterday. I'm still learning to use it, as i have never rowed prior ro getting the C2.

My current stats are 6'1", 196 lbs soaking wet, and out of shape. I decided to turn things around by eating better (gradually moving towards paleo/primal), cutting soda out except for 1-2 on the weekends. I also invested in the C2 to get in shape and lose weight. I alsi have a weight loss challenge at work i want to win.

So, with all that being said, where should i start as far as C2 workouts? My 2 goals are to lose weight, an build up endurance for hare scramble racing. I will invest in a good heart rate monitor soon too, probably polar.

So can you make recommendations on what kind of workout routine i should do to meet my goals?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: C2 Rower Help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Stand by. I'll get my Concept2 go-to guy, Greg Hammond to help you out.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00 pm 

You bet I will help. First glad you went with the Concept2 rower. I am traveling for Concept2 right now outside the country and typing on my phone so I will respond with more detail later. What are the details of the weight loss contest? At 6'1 and 195 I would not want you to go crazy and dump too much. We just need to change your body composition. Shoot me an email at GregH@Concept2.com with some of your background like age and the last time you felt in good shape. Also how many days a week do you have time to workout. Cutting back on the sugar and switching to a more protein based diet will also speed things up. Talk soon. - Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:55 pm 

Thanks for your help Greg! I am very excited about finally owning a Concept 2 Rower. It has definitely been on my wish list for quite a while. I still have lots to learn about it though.

As far as the weight loss challenge goes, it started on Jan 6th and will last through March 31st...so something like 12 weeks. It is percentage based also. We do a weekly weigh in on Mondays.
This past monday I am down from 212 to 207 lbs (in work clothes), and am currently in 4th place at work. The only change I really did was cut out a significant amount of sodas and drank significantly more water. I am trying to clean up my diet more too.

As far as my age goes, I am 26 yrs old. I have a gut on me (around a 34-36 size jeans). I do not smoke, and i drink very very seldomly..like once a month or so.
Last time I really felt good was about 2 years ago when I started working on the stationary bike and running during my final year of college....there is actually a previous thread for this in this section.

I am willing to work out any day of the week and can probably do 7 days a week, but realistically, I know it will be more like 5 days a week when you factor in rest days and such. With that being said, I could work out all 7 days if needed.

I will send this same message to you Greg via email.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:45 pm 

Any updates on info?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

So I finally got a heart monitor last week (Polar RC3) and did a LTHR Test last night. My average was 178 bpm and my max was 193 bpm. (The way I did my test was the 10 min warm up (in this time frame i kept my row pace around 22-23 s/m, and heart rate around 135-145, I then rested for a minute and drank some water. When I started my 8 min LTHR test i started at 98 bpm.

So my zones should be something like this for the rower:

Zone 1 - <148 bpm
Zone 2 - 149 - 158 bpm
Zone 3 - 159 - 166 bpm
Zone 4 - 167 - 178 bpm
Zone 5 - > 178 bpm

Now that I have that established. What is a good weekly regimen for something geared towards hare scrambles that are 2 hrs in length. Elsewhere on this site, I remember Aldon saying that 4 times the length of your MX race time is what you should train for. Obviously that is not practical as far as training for hare scrambles that are 2 hrs long. I plan on trying to do my first race of the season on March 9th. I know that I won't be able to make a significant improvement in cardio between now and then, but I'd like to get a routine established.

So can I get some recommendations on how to setup a program with an emphasis on training for hare scrambles? I can work out any day of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

I would recommend using one of the premium training plans we offer. They are only $19.95 per month and the first month is free. Def worth the money. The programs are set up for motocross but several other riders are using the programs and we have helped them modify the plans for longer races.

Short of that, check out the off-road section. http://www.racerxvt.com/category/virtua ... r-off-road

Image Image