Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:25 pm 

Ive seen so many riders drinking different supplements throughout a race day? Ive usually stuck to the standard water and Gatorade routine. Id like to look into a different drink. Im just unsure of what to trust/take and when to take it throughout the day? Any products you can suggest I use and when it should be taken would be a huge help. Ive been to a few nutrition stores and i dont really trust their opinion on the products they endorse because I believe at the end of the day they are just trying to sell certain products. They also dont understand the sport of Motocross. Any help would be great

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 pm 

Can't go wrong with any of the Cytosport products. Cytomax and Muscle Milk are very good products...Should probably double check the ingredients before you try them to make sure there are no potential issues or allergies. Same goes for any product though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

GPR - Why do you think you need a supplement? Just b/c guys are walking around drinking this and that does not mean they need them or that YOU need tham. Have you searched the site and read any of the articles on supplements and hydration? If not, here are a few to read.

What to Drink on Raceday
Chocolate Milk
Fuel Your Body for Racing
Pre and Post Workout Nutrition

That should get you started. Search the site and read all that you can. Knowledge is power!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 am 

Great question!
Like Tim mentioned - focus on real food (raw fruits, vegetables and lean protein sources) post race. Your body prefers real food over anything else. You will be surprised how much better you feel and how quickly you will recover. There is one key element when it comes to your recovery: you want to consume a recovery meal within 20-30 minutes following your workout, race, etc. When you are finished working out, riding or racing, your muscles are a sponge for water and nutrients (carbs, protein and fat); there is actually an activity going on within the muscles called a glycogen synthase enzyme that increases your absorption of water and nutrients - take advantage of this 20-30 minute window. You will recover quicker - scientifically proven.

Please keep me posted.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm 

I realize I'm a little late chiming in...

There is a fair amount of research showing that a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein is best for recovery purposes. However, as stated in my article that Tim referenced, What to Drink on Raceday, you only need to consume a sport drink if you are exercising for more than an hour or very intensely. If you are racing and/or working out on a daily basis and don't feel recovered from day to day, a recovery drink may help.

You may also want to read my article entitled Sugar on the site. Certain types of sugar are better than others both prior to and after activity.

There is also evidence that consuming branched chain amino acids during a workout can help rebuild muscle more quickly but this would not apply to riding, only in the gym.