Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:19 pm 

Recently I have seen alot of hand held portable ultrasound devices for sale and I would like your opinion on wether or not they are of any use. I would like to know what the minimum specifications to look for eg. hertz and all that stuff that you would look for. Are they any good for knee pain, hand soreness, ligaments and muscles? Apparently Josh Hansen was getting some work done on his broken hand by Doctor G. with some type of machine. I would realy appreciate your advice on this one. Best Regards Gary M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:33 pm 

I asked my associate therapist/DC and here's his response:

Ultrasound works great for many conditions, I use it on everything from muscles strains, trigger points, or deeper structures, such as knees. Therapeutic ultrasound frequency (Waveform) used is, 0.7 to 3.3 MHz ( The lower the number the deeper penetration). Most units sold offer a 1MHz setting, which I like to use because it penetrates deeper. Ultrasound must always be moved constantly in a circular motion or it will burn the Periosteum (outer layer of the bone). Maximum energy absorption in soft tissue is about 3 inches, so you would not want to use the 1 MHz (deeper) setting over areas of decreased tissue, like the hand. Intensity decreases as the waves penetrate deeper. They are absorbed primarily by Connective tissue, Ligaments, Tendons and scar tissue. I believe most places won't sell a unit unless you have an active state license, (PT, DC, DO). When I bought mine I had to give my license number. Hope this helps.

-Dr. Brian Griffin
Austin Spine and Therapy
http://www.austinspineandtherapy.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:06 am 

Any therapeutic ultrasound device should only be used by a licensed professional who has been trained to use the device. I agree with the previous post that they are an integral part of many PT and chiropractic practices. However, there are dangers if they are missed used or used on the wrong area or with the wrong settings. Therefore, I disagree with trying to purchase or use one unless you are properly trained and credentialed.

Ray Adams PT, OCS, ATC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 am 

Thank you very much for your reply to my question. Can you please tell me if the ultrasounds sold on ebay and other sites like it are of any use or are they just a scam? They are usually pretty cheap,any where from $40 to $180 and are said to be 1MHZ. I think alot of people would like some professional opinions before spending good money on one of these things. Kind Regards Gary M

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultralieve-P ... 2eb89979b7

This is the type of thing I am talking about. Thank you.

Last edited by gazzar on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 am 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultralieve-P ... 2eb89979b7 This is the type of thing I am talking about. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:06 pm 

Give me a day or so, I will get the lowdown from my guy....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:24 am 

Did you find out anything?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:08 pm 

Yup, forgot to post it:

From Brian Griffith, the PT/DO at my gym:

More than likely this device does not offer the true current as advertised. These machines must be approved medical devises and the company should ask for a license number when buying it. For instance, an approved Ultrasound machine in the U.S. located in a therapy setting costs thousands of dollars for a reason. The units are tuned, tested and must offer a true 1 MHz setting. As a side note, if Ultrasound is done wrong you can actually burn the outer layer of the bone called the Periosteum.