Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 pm 

So I am a pro off-road rider in cross country, endurocross, hare scrambles and all that good stuff. I broke my arm, wrist and finger bad 3 weeks ago. I broke my Scaphoid bad so its held with a rod, broke both main arm bones clean in half so they are plated and screwed, and my middle finger in the hand in half. So I am in a cast and I am literally going crazy. I am use to always being active so I need ideas of stuff I can do please. I get my pins out in 2 weeks so then I think I can get on spin bike. Currently I can do crunches and very little leg workouts. Can I please get some keys to not sitting around going nuts and getting depressed. I am out for 3 months and I cant wait till therapy. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 pm 

You and Shorty are in the same boat. Can you hike? I know you can't run but hiking in hilly terrain carrying a pack is pretty good for low level aerobic exercise and lower body muscular endurance. As soon as you get your cast off, you will probably just be doing range of motion stuff but soon after that I bet you can swim and do some aqua running. Stationary cycling is good but man, I know it gets boring. The most important thing you can do know is stay as active as you can with you limitations that doesn't cause inflammation so that you can keep your metabolism up, spike it a little to speed healing and eat well so you give your injury what it needs. My last video article on this site is about exactly that: how much food energy it takes to heal from major injuries like yours. I feel for you man, I have been watching/working with Shorty ever since he got back, doing therapy, etc. and I know how badly you want to get out and do stuff. He has been trying to read of all things. Best of luck man and when you get to do therapy, do it all out! Get that range of motion back ASAP, take care of that soft tissue scarring, do what the therapist says!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:14 am 

I didnt know Shorty was out, and with similar injury, dang. I was so nusy with testing, training and traveling i havent checked out the moto side. Yes sir I will probably try some hiking. I love running trails so for now hiking sounds good thanks. Recently i have been working my legs and core, what i can do in the core area. And as soon as these pins come out and cast I will be on the spin bike, but for some reason i dont mind spinning. Follow me on twitter @mwilliamsracing to check out the wrist and get a bit more understanding, maybe could tell me more. Im trying to stay as active as i can but limited things i can do and watching my fist year pro and top 5 points go away is sad. Thanks Seigi

ps, i been studying anatomy and physiology too lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 am 

Another thing I try to stress with riders when they are on the DL is to take that time to address flexibility/older injury issues. Stretch, take Pilates, Yoga, etc. Riders are soooo inflexible compared to other athletes because your position is so static compared to other sports and you are only really moving a lot in one plane. Take care of soft tissue restrictions, especially in your shoulders and legs. Use a foam roller, use other tools and methods (look at triggerpoint.com) to loosen up tissues and increase range of motion. You will get busy again training and these very important things will undoubtedly get put on the back burner.

One thing to realize about flexibility issues: it's not that one time you work around an issue and you get hurt. It's the millionth time. Your body puts up with you doing that for only so long and then that one more time it happens, something gives. A good example is your hamstrings are tight. In order to get your leg high enough in a turn to rail a rut, you round your back so you can get that leg up. That bends your spine a lot in one small segment and puts a disc in a compromised position. Nothing hurts at all, you do it over and over and 5 years down the road, you do it one more time and that disc blows out. This just happened to a friend of mine. He now has an implant in his spine. Again, nothing hurt for 10 years, but he was very tight in his hamstrings. He went through a turn like he always does, didn't crash or anything and BAM his leg went numb and his back hurt.

Take care of those things when you can!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am 

Sorry, I gave you a bad URL..the correct site for Trigger Point Therapy is: http://www.tptherapy.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 am 

I have had to wait to get pins out longer. will be at the 6 week mark for pins to come out hand thats whats holding me up from getting cast off. i just found out from a friend with similar injury to his arm same spot. he broke just the Radius just like me at his wrist (not breaking scaphoid and hand like me too) and they said 2 weeks after surgery, cast off into therapy so the scar tissue wont heal and lose the wrist rotation. i been 6 weeks stuck in cast so thats got me worried. doctor in 1 more week so we will see. thanks