Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Wrist Brace Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm 

Thirty six years of motocross and I come up a little short and have broken both wrists (acute distal radial fractures). This happened two months ago and after two surgeries and some cast time I am back to work. The riding season is all but over in the NW PA (for me anyway, no woods, no mud, thanks but no thanks) so I'll have plenty of rehab time before next season.

My question is after almost eight months since the accident will I need to ride with a wrist brace(s)? Are these for trying get back on the track before fully healing or are they to protect against further or repeated injury. Sure would be nice to avoid the expense (for the nice OH2's or something similar) as medical bills will linger into next season.

Post subject: Re: Wrist Brace Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 am 

All of my long term riders have suffered wrist injuries; some have injured the forearm bones like you did, both radius and ulna and some have fractured actual wrist bones, including the scaphoid. All of had surgery. All used a wrist brace (CTi or AllSport Dynamics) at least through the next season to limit range of motion beyond what feels safe. It is sort of an insurance policy against repeated injury since the soft tissue structures around the joint became weaker due to disuse and immobilization plus the actual bony structures can cause pain when pushed to the extremes of the range of motion. They usually continue use until some point (more than a season) they feel that all their soft tissues have returned to normal strength and the pain of range of motion has gone away and then they stop using it. At some point it is also mental and that is a valid point; they are afraid or nervous to ride without it so they ride with it until their confidence is 100% that their wrist is physically OK. I think they are well worth it for that last reason alone.