Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:59 pm 

Hello,

I have injured my shoulder to the point of needing surgery but the problem is my surgery isn't until Feb 2nd and i am having a problem staying inactive.

I was hoping i could get some advice on specific strengthening exercises for my shoulder to help keep it in place. Also, i would like to be rehabbing my shoulder prior to surgery so i can make as faster recovery for the up coming mx season.

The below is the MRI report:

MR athrogram of the left shoulder.

Mild marrow edema within the posterior lateral humeral head consistent with a contusion relating to a hill-sachs lesion. Marrow signal otherwise appears unremarkable. Normal AC joint. No significant subacromial spurring. Tendons of the rotator cuff appear intact. Biciptal anchor and tendon appear primarily intact. Anteriorly there appears to be a cleft undercutting the bicipital anchor although the majority of the tendon attachment appears intact. The cleft could be normal varations. There is a massive tear of the anterior and posterior labrum that starts at 3 o’clock involving the posterior labrum and extends to 11 o’clock involving the anterior labrum. Anterior laburm is displaced anterioly by aproximately 3mm and is quite deformed. Anterior bony glenoid demonstrat some minimal deformity but no definite bankart lesion. The inferior posterior gelnoid appears somewhat rounded which could represent small posterior impaction injury. No displaced bony fragments is identified. inferior glenohumeral ligament appears intact.

Evidence for prior shoulder dislocation with extensive tearing of the labrum greater anteriorly. Slight deformity of the inferior posterior bony glenoid but no displaced boyny fragment. No anterior bankart lesion.

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to give you all the facts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raamy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

In situations like this, the best advice needs to come from your doctor. Tell him your concerns and see what he says. He is the only person who knows exactly what is going on with your shoulder.

I'll make sure Dr. Augustine sees this though.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:29 am 

Thanks for the reply!

Out of luck, I received a phone call today from my doctor advising me there is an opening next weds for surgery for my shoulder - thankfully i was on the cancellation list.

So right now my pre-surgical rehab question does not need to be answered.

I will be advised by my surgical doctor shortly about the rehab exorcises needed to be performed after surgery and I will post his instructions here.

I was hoping that I could get a second opinion from this panel of experts as your information will be tailored more towards athletes rather then the general public.

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck with the surgery and please let us know if you need any more help.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:21 pm 

Virtual Trainer wrote:
Good luck with the surgery and please let us know if you need any more help.

Hello Tim,

I had my surgery and everything was going great until today. I was on the bike and had a little swap when landing from a jump and my shoulder popped out (partially) and i put it back in quickly. Unfortunately due to the extent of my injury to my labrum prior to surgery, it was not a guarantee things would be okay after. The surgeon said that I had a full tear around my whole shoulder when he had gone in for surgery which was three hours long (it was only suppose to be 1.5hours).

My question for you is, are there any different methods to repair the labrum and do you have any contacts in the States or Canada (where i live) to get this done the best way possible. From what i have been reading, an open procedure is better then an arthroscopic one. just want to be well informed about this and receive a second opinion so that i can use my arm again and not have to quit MX or any other physical activity.

I live where health care is provided to us which is great but in my situation with my shoulder it is hard to get things done that is best for ME and not best for the system. Know what i mean?

Any help would be great Tim. I just need to get this fixed the best way and have an arm to use again.

Raamy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Send me your email and I will put you in touch with Dr. Augustine. Timcrytser@gmail.com

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 am 

A very close rider I work with has come back to South Africa cause of this problem from MTF to get operated on only to find out that in his case the injury was not as severe as we 1st thought and with certain rehab excercises we were able to strengthen the shoulder enough and he will need to carry on in the USA as he has flown back last night and once his season is over after LL's he will come home to get the operation.

We were doing the following:

1) Band/cable external rotation @ 0 deg –
2) Band/cable internal rotation @ 0 deg –
3) Prone scap ret @ 90 deg –
4) Prone scap ret @ 180 deg -

I would presume you would do similar rehab excercises. I wish you all the best with your operation as shoulders are never good to have go.

John

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:37 pm 

Hello,
I sent the email as you advised Tim but i haven't heard back from Dr. Augustine yet.

Did you hear anything back?

I visited my surgeon 2 weeks ago and he just now told me that i have a grove in the humerus (the ball section of my arm bone; may have used the wrong word). this grove allows my bone to slip out easier.

Things aren't going good, I now have stopped all sports and am becoming a hermit due to my arm. my spirits are down and this is now going to be my second year of missing out in racing and being 30 isn't helping.

Please help cause i really don't want to go through surgery again and have it fail.

Regards,
Raamy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

I just sent Dr. Augustine another SOS. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:44 pm 

Virtual Trainer wrote:
I just sent Dr. Augustine another SOS. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.

Thanks Tim.

It is just very hard to be active your whole life and now, you can't do anything anymore and the medical system that is suppose to be here to help hasn't helped...yet.

I've been having shoulder problems for 14 years now (right shoulder and now left shoulder) and all i am ever told is that i don't need surgery and to go to the gym. Meanwhile when i actually got in for an MRI, i needed surgery immediately due to all the damage over the years.

Just really sucks.

Sorry for the rant.