Sunday's Post RedBud Workout (The Heater)

Think you can go all out like the pros in a 450 main event? Time to prove it in this all-out AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) workout. Want to make it feel more like what the pros experienced at RedBud? Take your workout to the garage or out in the sun.

This workout is called "The Heater" in honor of Ryan Dungey and Blake Baggett's dominating performances in the heat and humidity at RedBud. Reps coincide with their numbers.

The challenge is to see how many rounds you can complete in the same average time (34:51) it took Ryan Dungey and Blake Baggett to win their second motos at RedBud. This challenge will take focus and determination to notch a top result!

The Movements:

Warm up for at least 10-minutes with some form of cardio. Run, jump rope, row, or cycle.

250 meter row (or 100 skips of a jump rope)
5 Pull Ups
12 Hands off Push ups
5 Air Squats
12 Butterfly Situps

Couple of Rules:

• Pull Ups - You must do strict pull ups. No kipping and chin must be above the the bar.
  • Hands off Push ups - Chest must touch the floor while hands are lifted.
  • Air Squats - quads have to go past parallel. In other words get those butts close to the floor!
  • Butterfly Situps - Touch the ground above your head on the way back and between your legs at the top.

How to do the challenge:

1. It's very easy to follow. After you warm up, hit your stop watch and row 250 meters (or jump rope 100 times as an alternate) as fast as you can.
  2. Immediately do 5 pull ups, then immediately do 12 hands off push ups, then immediately do 5 air squats, then immediately do 12 butterfly situps.
  3. Once you complete the sit ups, go back to the rower (or jump rope) and complete the cycle as many times as you can until time runs out.

Post your results in the comment section below. Let's see some videos people!

Before beginning any fitness program, always see a qualified healthcare provider for advice and to address any questions or concerns. The exercises presented on this website are for suggestion only and should not be substituted for medical diagnosis or treatment. Participate at your own risk and stop if you feel faint or experience shortness of breath.

Alex Jaroshevich July 08, 2012 at 5:12 am

Also, for the average person please put on a full set of riding gear, do this in 100 degree weather...and on the side of a cliff ( to simulate Laroccos leap )

Jay King July 08, 2012 at 10:09 am

I like this v work out idea, I have been doing crossfit style work outs for over a decade. but this is is week all the reps should be doubled. I should be a lot faster on the track because all of these workouts are easy for me.

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 08, 2012 at 10:36 am

Jay, while the total reps per set are low the total reps for the entire 35 minutes would be very high. Workouts like this should never be easy for ANYONE at any fitness level. The difficulty in the workout is all self regulating. The harder you go, the harder the workout. That is why I love workouts like this. If you find it easy I would suggest you are not going hard enough. And fitness (for the most part) never equates to faster speed on the track. Especially for the amateur. 99.9% of the time a rider's limiter is skill not fitness. Post up a video and let's see what you got!

bruce July 08, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Definitely kicked my butt! I haven't done a lot of serious training in the past year. I clicked on this and decided to do it. finished 5 cycles and just started the 6th when time ran out.

Matt July 09, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Another tough one! I got 12 cycles in with about 15 seconds left on the clock.......which left just enough time to wipe the slobber/sweat combo off my face. Love it!!

Tim V July 13, 2012 at 12:22 am

Got 13 done in 34:34

Eric July 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm

13 rounds + 250m Row + 5 pull ups + 11 HR Push ups.

Racer X Virtual Trainer July 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

Excellent job guys. Next time I want to see some videos!!!!!!

bruce August 01, 2012 at 5:23 pm

So i just revisited this workout from a month ago. been following workouts on this site since then. did 11.5 cycles this time!

Racer X Virtual Trainer August 01, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Bruce - 5 cycles to 11.5!!! Great work man!

Byron January 03, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I did the Heater for the first time today as a change and to see where I was at as I don't really do this kind of training but usually more endurance and strength training.

I managed 6 full cycles and the buzzer went off just as I finished my pull ups on the 7th but still finished the cycle anyway.

I really like the workout and felt that it definately pushed me so I am planning to put this into my training perminently in the middle of the week just to add variation,

Thanks Tim.

Racer X Virtual Trainer January 03, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Right on Byron. Glad you liked it!