Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Can warm up be trained?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm 

I have always been told "do your warm up, then...."

Over the last few years that I have been trying to train I have learned that what I think is my "warm up" takes about 40 minutes. I usually hold a relatively easy pace for 20 minutes and call that my warm up, but it isn't until the 40 minute mark or so that I really feel good. Things just get easier at that point.

My question is can I intentionally train that aspect of my physical performance down some? Can I start knocking time off of my warm up say one minute per week, and get it down to five or ten minutes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

hmmmm, very interesting question. Give us some more info to work with. How often do you train, ride, how old are you, height, weight, general eating habits, etc., etc.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 am 

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I am hesitant to post questions, the things I ask are directly related to my racing and in case I come across something that works... I just hope no one in my class reads this site.

Anyhow,

I have a semi periodized three level plan that I follow. The goal being to hold as high a level of fitness as possible for the longest amount of time. The most important secondary aspect being that I am in good enough shape to win races.

I started working with seiji a few years ago and spent about a year learning every thing I could, I doubt I scratched the surface of his knowledge, but I still learned quite a bit.

Up to last summer I was cycling or rowing about 10 hours per week and riding or racing three. Lifting weights about 1.5 hrs. When my son was born in Late June everything got put on hold. In December I tried to get back on the program but still haven't got enough control over my new schedule to be committed to a routine.

I am back on the track, when the weather allows, and I am ready to start a new work out plan ASAP.

If I follow my "new" plan I will be training about 11 hours each week for the next several weeks. This includes two hours of riding. One long bike ride (4hrs or more) and the rest is rowing and strength stuff.

I am 35, 130lbs and I eat pretty good. Mostly meat and veggies, probably too much fruit, two or three dinners of fish each week, no sugar except for my morning coffee has honey (I swear to you it did away with my allergies).

Other than my "with baby" schedule lack of sleep has been a huge issue keeping me from getting back to training. The baby has "fingers crossed" started sleeping, and I am already feeling better. I have no idea how my wife has not required hospitalization.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 am 

Very observant on your part regarding your warm up! The warm up is one of the most overlooked elements of proper preparation to opening lap sprint speed. The scientific terminology is called the "Lactic Acid Shuffle". Here is the overview: when your body burns stored sugar (glycogen), it releases a hydrogen ion called lactate (hence lactic acid). When you implement a proper warm-up (duration and intensity), you activate the lactic acid shuffle and your body performs optimally. It is NOT by accident that most riders feel better at the end of the race than the beginning - it is this exactly system/process.

Here is the correct way to warm up (which is actually closer to your desired "shorter warm up"):
Prior to heading out for practice, complete one of the following for your warm up:
Concept 2 Rower
Warm up on your Concept 2 rower by completing the following for 20 minutes:
4 Minutes at an even tempo – smooth pulls, initiated with your legs and gluts; if you feel any muscle group(s) tighten up, stop and stretch by isolating both the front and back of the overly tight muscle(s).

Main Set - 16 minutes:
1 Minute strong and smooth (not a sprint); mentally focus on diaphragmic breathing
1 Minute; very easy/low pull rate/active recovery

Bicycle
Warm up: 4 Minutes
Gearing: small chain ring up front, middle rear gearing
Cadence: 80-85 (no higher/lower)
Misc: stretch and hydrate before moving into your main set

Complete the following over the next 16 minutes:
2 Minutes at 80-85% effort (you should not be gasping for air here!)
2 Minutes at 60-70% effort (very relaxed; stretch as necessary)
After 20 minutes, stretch all of your large muscle groups and top off on your glycogen reserves by consuming your sports drink or energy gel (this will top off the glycogen levels within the muscles and the liver) for the needs of riding.

Give this a try at your next practice or race and let me know how it works out for you.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am 

will do, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am 

Have you had the opportunity to implement these warm up strategies by chance? Please post back here at RacerX VT when you get a quick moment.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm 

I have been using your warmup method for a few weeks now. At first I was not sure, but I am beginning to see that I am actually ready to race after the 20 min warm up, as opposed to my old (just ride easy and build up to zone two) style that took 45 minutes before I felt "ready".

Now how do I get that down to five minutes???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:37 am 

The key is that you can't "shorten" the metabolic process that you are experiencing - you need to allow the time needed for optimum results.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I think what you want to look for are improvements, not short cuts. And you are already seeing improvements! The best thing is to get to know YOUR body. If you how long it takes to warm up and be ready to race, that's half the battle. Great job BTW!

Image Image