Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 pm 

Hi All,
I just need pointing in the right direction I think, i'm 39, and in good shape and have a good diet.

My races are essentially sprints 15mins X 3 separated by about an hour.

I currently train my cardio as follows :-

Monday & Thursday:-

25min Run Zone unknown I just run the course as fast as I can

followed by a

21min Row Zone 3

Tuesday & Friday I do weights

My recovery is really good but what i'm finding is that I race really well until about 2 laps to go and I start to fade, I'm quite mentally strong which pulls me through but I want to be better and be able to push harder can you give me some suggestions please, I was looking at maybe spinning or somekind of interval training which might raise my intensity but I'm not an expert and wanted to get it right if I was going to make a change like this during the season.

Many Thanks,

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 am 

Weston,
Great question-thanks for posting it here on RacerX VT!

This is an issue that I see frequently-racing at an intensity that is below what you train during the week. Please wear your HR monitor the next time you race and evaluate the highest number achieved. Also, capture your resting heart rate in the morning after you have emptied your bladder and lay back down for 5 minutes.

Once you have this information, please email me directly at robb3@earthlink.net. I will forward you a personalized heart rate spreadsheet that you can use for training on the motorcycle to train the appropriate energy systems relevant to your 15 minute sprint motos.

What most people don't realize is that your maximum heart rate will vary depending on your activity. For example, your maximum heart rate number will be lower while swimming than running. This is due to the hydrostatic pressure that is placed on your body; this helps bring the blood back to the heart which results in a lower maximum heart rate. Your running max heart rate will be higher than if you were cycling because you are using more muscles. By calculating your heart rate zones - specific to the sport, will result in a more effective training effort.

Regarding your point of fading, look at your calorie intake during the morning before the race. You can only store 60-90 minutes of sugar in your liver and muscles. You may be hitting a point during your race where you have depleted your sugar storages which results in the dreaded "late moto fatigue". If you would like a Food/Performance Log, please email me directly (robb3@earthlink.net) and I will send you a free copy of what we use with all of our riders.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hi Coach,
Thanks for the reply and I do have some of the info already as I test me resting pulse every morning although i've never done it after i've been to the bathroom but I usually between 47 - 53bpm sometimes as low as 45bpm depending but will try it like you suggest and see if there is any difference.
I've never worn a heart rate monitor during racing and not sure the one i've got is good enough :( but will give it ago as I really appreciate your offer to sort me out with a personalized heart rate spreadsheet.
As for the fading thing after reading numerous articles on diet I have come to the conclusion that I just did not have enough fat in my diet so I have started to add as snacks almonds and advacadoes which you suggested in another post I put up as this apparently can cause your body to fatigue so crossed fingers things will start to come good soon but will be dropping you an email tonight for a copy of that Food/Performance Log you offered to send me.

Once again, many thanks to yourself and all the guys and gals that have help me :) .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm 

Please check your email - let me know if you have any questions!
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Weston - you might want to check out the Paleo diet. Go to the main page of the site and search "Paleo".

Image Image