Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: New Garmin Bike Computer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:26 pm 

Trying to sort out my heart rate zones on my new Edge 500. They advocate Heart Rate Reserve as opposed to a simple percentage of max heart rate. I've done an LTHR on the spin bike to get my training zones, but when I key in the max HR, my current resting HR, and the percentages suggested on this site for training zones, I come up with some fairly different #'s. Any one have experience or advice on how I should setup the computer?
I would like to train using the same zones as I've been using, although I should perform a new LTHR on the road bike. I guess I could just manually enter the HR numbers instead of using the percentages.
Just wanted to hear how the experts set their Garmin zones...Thanks!

Edit: Now that I think more about it, I'm entering my LTHR in my Garmin not my actual HR Max. I should use my LTHR to calculate zones right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:52 am 

The Real Money,
We need to calculate your heart rate training zones specific to each form of training and racing and then adjust your heart rate zones in your watch accordingly. You don't want to use one set of numbers and then apply it to all the various forms of training that you are doing. This will put you in the wrong zones (both too high and low) which will result in wasted time and energy. Please email me directly with your maximum and resting heart rate (with an empty bladder). We can then calculate your sport specific heart rate training zone which you can apply with each workout.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 am 

What's the most appropriate way to calc my max heart rate for the road bike? LTHR Test?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 am 

There are many ways to test and capture this data. the key is to know your training volume and history. For the sake of this conversation, here is one that you can apply this weekend:

Weigh yourself prior to the test session.
Ride at an even tempo (you should be completely aerobic - you should be able to sing to yourself or talk to your training buddy) for 40-50 minutes
Complete 10 x 30 second acceleration (not a sprint) with 30 second recovery

Complete a ten (10) mile time trial (ideally 5 miles out and back); there are four data points you will want to capture:
1. Maximum heart rate achieved
2. Average heart rate of the entire 10 miles
3. Elapsed time
4. Total amount of fluids consumed
5. Post weight

Cool down 15-20 minute even tempo; easy spin.

The reason for the body weight evaluation is to make sure that dehydration or over hydration didn't negatively influence your testing numbers. If you would like a copy of our Sweat Rate Calculator, please email me directly at robb3@earthlink.net.

If you have any questions or need anything clarified, please post me back here on this forum.
-Robb Beams/MotoE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45 pm 

I understand it helps to have more data, but why does this method seem so much more elaborate than the LTHR test method posted on the site?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm 

Great question! Most riders-racer-people don't know what their maximum heart rate is relevant to the specific sport they are participating in. By capturing "raw-real data", you are able to create a completely personalized heart rate spreadsheet. It is rather simple process when you think about it: wear a heart rate monitor during a race (or time trial effort) and analyze the real data. There a few elements that are factored into the equation - heat, humidity, etc.; however, it does provide you insight into what is going on during these conditions. I have used this formula for 24 years with national and world champions around the world; I trust you will see the benefits of the spreadsheet once the required data is captured. Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything clarified.
-Robb Beams/MotoE