Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm 

I need some help figuring out what my "zones" are or should be. I have read all of the articles so many times that I think I may have confused myself. Trying to set up my HR zones for my offseason program. In Aldon Bakers article and referring to the heart rate calculater, it seems that zone 3 (70-80% of MHR) should be the zone that I use for my aerobic base training. This is based off of Maximum Heart Rate. If I use the Lactate Threshold Test (which I believe is the perferred method) zone 3 is 83-93% of LTHR. Comparing the 2 (when I plug in my numbers), the numbers or zones do not match. So my question is this, Which should I base my zones off of? I would really like to get this right so that I'm not in the wrong zone and not reaping the benefits. Performed my LTHR yesterday and here are my number: Avg HR 183, Peak 190. These numbers were down a little from last years test. Can they fluctuate?

On a side note, WHAT A GREAT WEBSITE!!! I have learned more in the past 2 years reading the articles than I can remember! Based on the info that you guys provide (FOR FREE might I add) I feel that I am more prepared than ever! Thanks again for all of your efforts!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

There are many, MANY methods for calculating HR training zones two of which are max heart rate and the lactate threshold test we talk about. In lue of a V02 max test (which relies on true lactate measurements), I believe the most accurate is the LTHR, so use those numbers. And yes, different methods will yield sometimes very different results.

Yes, your results will vary depending on many things including how you feel, amount of rest, physical conditioning, etc. This is why you should repeat your LTHR test every 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for the compliments on the website. I am stoked that you are getting so much out of the articles. If you really want to take the guess work out of your training, make sure you join the Premium Training community once it is released in a few weeks.

Image Image