Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm 

So I have a question. When is it good to do intervals vs. rowing a steady 5k or 10k. I was looking over some workouts and I found for the cardio workouts there were specific notations saying NO INTERVALS. What gives? I've read many articles saying HIIT can give you faster results in less time and longer sustained rowing will help over all enduranceetc... but I'm thinking there is more to it? Any advice is appreciated.

Just for some back ground, I plan on doing the 19 week coach seiji program after I get back from my next work trip. For now I am doing the 12 week tactical workout on the TRX to simply learn the workouts and to practice correct form. I plan to row for recovery days (like today) because I'm really sore. I'm just getting back in to a workout routine after a 6 month lapse due to an injury.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

I think what you are referring to were some workouts where I was talking about pure base training. Most guys think that full on HIIT workouts are the only way to go. In this case, I feel there is a time and place to go aerobic only for a 4-6 week phase.

This is basically it in a nut shell. BUILD YOUR AEROBIC BASE: For optimum health and performance it is critical to develop the aerobic system. Many athletes are not as fit as they should be because they have never fully developed the aerobic system.
It takes months, sometimes even years, to fully build the aerobic system. A healthy aerobic base is advised before implementation of any anaerobic interval training, “speed work.” Doing anaerobic work too early can lead to physical and mental burnout, illness, injury, and poor aerobic development.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 pm 

Virtual Trainer wrote:
I think what you are referring to were some workouts where I was talking about pure base training. Most guys think that full on HIIT workouts are the only way to go. In this case, I feel there is a time and place to go aerobic only for a 4-6 week phase.

This is basically it in a nut shell. BUILD YOUR AEROBIC BASE: For optimum health and performance it is critical to develop the aerobic system. Many athletes are not as fit as they should be because they have never fully developed the aerobic system.
It takes months, sometimes even years, to fully build the aerobic system. A healthy aerobic base is advised before implementation of any anaerobic interval training, “speed work.” Doing anaerobic work too early can lead to physical and mental burnout, illness, injury, and poor aerobic development.

You cleared up everything that was in question! I use to do 10k's all the time at the Y but when I purchased the C2 I was given the Pete Plan interval 5k plan and to be honest got burnt out from it. Thanks again Tim. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I'll stick with my 10k's for now until I get on the 19 week fully.