Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 pm 

Howdy Guys/Gals,

I am on Week 8 of the TRX Force program. It is not overly challenging but definitely get's the job done and have left my garage to vomit at times. haha I currently alternate from TRX to C2 every other day and some weeks I do TRX 4 days straight and then row on the 5th and 6th day rest on 7.

Question:

Is there any benefit to alternating my TRX and C2 schedule as stated above? (I mainly do it to work around my life schedule) TRX Force doesn't offer a way to incorporate cardio into the program besides the 300yd shuttle runs.

When I complete the Force program I plan on starting the 19 week program on RXVT though I thought about doing the Force again since I'll know the majority of the moves and will be able to increase intensity and speed. Anyway, I've looked the entire 19 week program over and I see it is broke down in to days. Here is my dilemma; I travel for work making it difficult to follow the program exactly as shown.

Question:

How critical is it for the routine and workouts to be followed exactly as listed?

I'm making an assumption here that the routine is set in such a way to revolve around race day..

Do you have any suggestions on how I should go about this? I do TRX at the hotel and wherever I'm at but my cardio lags on trips because treadmills suck and ellipticals are lame. (more so hotel equipment is sub par at best and unreliable as I'm sure you've experienced).

I really like the results and I have been doing all of the above on a 1200-1500 calorie limit a day. I've lost a bunch of weight to obtain my sixxer but I am noticing now that I am not gaining any strength and even though I have much improved vascularity and muscle tone it feels like I a have plateaued in strenght.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Chris in WI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Chris,
I did the TRX Force program as well and found it to be extremely challenging at times. Like any workout, its as hard as you want it to be. So at week 8 you are almost done with phase 2 an will start the most challenging phase in week 9. What I did for the cardio was replace their shuttle runs and stuff with the rower and ski erg.

Quote:
Is there any benefit to alternating my TRX and C2 schedule as stated above? (I mainly do it to work around my life schedule) TRX Force doesn't offer a way to incorporate cardio into the program besides the 300yd shuttle runs.
- I think the main benefit is you are working your training in around your work life. That is the most important thing.....to find time to train. As for incorporating cardio, eliminate the shuttle runs and put in some 500m and 1000m all out sprints on the rower.

Quote:
How critical is it for the routine and workouts to be followed exactly as listed? I'm making an assumption here that the routine is set in such a way to revolve around race day..
- I would highly recommend checking out the premium training plan Coach Seiji and I just started offering on the site. the cost is $19.95 per month and everything you are talking about in this post is answered and addressed. Workouts are presented in a calendar via a program called Training Peaks and you receive an email everyday of your next workout. Workouts can be moved around to fit your schedule. TRX and free weight options are given for strength training and you have the choice of running, rowing, or cycling for cardio. Training plans are chosen based on the amount of time you have available to train each week. And the two best parts......First, these plans are developed for the motocross athlete in mind meaning everything has the purpose of making you more fit to ride your motorcycle (TRX Force does not). And second, the first month is FREE. So you have absolutely no risk.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 19-week program on the site. But for 20 bucks to me its a no brainer to get on the premium training plan.

http://www.racerxvt.com/premium

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm 

Thanks Tim. I will look into the premium section as my next available routine. I am trying to get this planned out ahead of time because I don't want to fall in to the 'death void' of being motivated to workout without a program to commit to.

When you say:

Quote:
TRX and free weight options are given for strength training and you have the choice of running, rowing, or cycling for cardio.

It brings up an area of concern for me. Is TRX a legitimate replacement for free weights?

Not that I'm necessarily looking to bulk up but if I reduced my calorie deficit would TRX give those type of results?

Quote:
- I think the main benefit is you are working your training in around your work life. That is the most important thing.....to find time to train. As for incorporating cardio, eliminate the shuttle runs and put in some 500m and 1000m all out sprints on the rower.

Should I still incorporate 5 and 10 k days?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Is TRX a legitimate replacement for free weights? - Yes and no. For motocross training I would say definitely yes. The goal in motocross is almost never to increase max strength. I agree it is very difficult without the aid weight vests and other creative tactics to use enough weight to train to failure in the 4-6 rep range. With that said though, max strength is the least important part of training for MX. Muscular endurance is far more important.

The beauty of the premium training plans is you have the choice to use either and switch around from day to day. Traveling...use the TRX. At home and can get to a gym....use free weights.

Not that I'm necessarily looking to bulk up but if I reduced my calorie deficit would TRX give those type of results? - Not sure exactly what you are trying to say here????

Should you still incorporate 5-10K days? Again, this is the beauty of the training plans. All the workouts are periodized and the guess work is eliminated. I have a feeling you are the type of guy who has a tendency to over train. If you are working out 6 days a week and only allowing recovery on 1 day.....that is too much in my opinion. But, then again, it all depends on the workout intensity. But again, I would guess you are more the "Crossfit" type of guy who takes every workout to the highest intensity possible.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Not that I'm necessarily looking to bulk up but if I reduced my calorie deficit would TRX give those type of results? - Not sure exactly what you are trying to say here????

Meaning, would I start to bulk up from TRX if I started actually eating? haha

And yes, I push each and every workout to failure/vomiting except certain days on the rower. I do workout 6 days and allow 1 day of rest. I don't like rest days as I feel like I'm quitting and not getting anything done. I have thought of doing crossfit and using that as training but shyed away from it due to the extreme level of it and not wanting to get injured.

I'll be looking more in to the premium plan as well. Thanks Tim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

If you have the secret to bulking up, let me know and we will go make millions. The way the premium training workouts are structured, you will not bulk up no matter how much you eat.

And for your recovery or lack there of.....we need to talk. :) Always remember this. Recovery is exactly HALF of the training equation. I've seen it a million times with athletes who thought longer, harder, faster was the key to being a top notch athlete. Smarter is always better than just training harder. I won't get into the whole recovery thing as there are several articles on the site that cover the topic in great detail, but I would encourage you search them out ad read. If I know one thing for sure about guys like you who tend to train too much and too hard.....you want to be the best athlete you can be but like you said, taking a day off or recovery type workout feels lazy and useless to you. Its a struggle but something you must come to terms with if you truly want to be the best athlete you can be.

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/periodi ... h-training
http://www.racerxvt.com/article/recovery-training
http://www.racerxvt.com/article/why-go-low
http://www.racerxvt.com/article/overtra ... all-victim

Its very similar to a young girl who wants to lose weight. She thinks eating is the enemy when actually what she is doing by not eating is forcing her body to conserve energy and SLOW her metabolism. The exact opposite of what she are trying to accomplish. She actually needs to eat more and she would lose weight (assuming she is exercising as well.) Not eating is exactly analogous to not recovering. If you recovered more, you would most likely become a better athlete.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm 

That's going to be tough for me to adapt to. My thought process is if I'm sore, then I can see the need for recovery but if I'm not sore I should push until I'm sore and then recover. I'll read up on the articles and go from there. I really don't want to be spending my time training everyday when I could be doing something else that will be more effective. I'm all for effectiveness.

Instead of complete rest days where a guy doesn't do anything, can 30 minutes of light rowing be a substitute. I would really like to do something. If it was warm out I would simply walk the dog a few miles but her feet would fall of if I did that now.

I'll read these articles tonight when I'm home. Thanks again Tim!

Post subject: Poster Child Post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm 

Here is a fun little update for anyone reading this and is 'over working' their bodies without enough rest.

Per this thread and subsequent links provided thereafter with respect to recovery.... I decided to take a few days off and just relax my body. On the 3rd day, I bent over to tie my shoe and BAM I strained a lower back muscle. I am now on day 6 of no training and it sucks. I am confident to be back to light exercise at the end of the week but it just goes to show why recovery and rest is important. I am re-evaluating my program.

...maybe I should stretch on my off days. I am 90% sure that is the reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Try some Foundation Training. I swear by it and have all my riders (including myself) using these techniques. Something you can do EVERY DAY! Peter Park is one of the creators and he is actively using this with Chad Reed. Great for your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

Image Image