Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: In-Season Training
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 pm 

First off, 30 years old, race +30 class and have recently qualifired for +30 b/c at Loretta's this year. I want to ensure I am as prepared as I can be at the ranch in a month! I'm currently 5'10" - 160lbs and probably stronger than most moto guys. I cut from 185 last year to this weight.

I have been working out very consistently since the beginning of the year, first with the preseason training and now I've been following the in-season training from racerxvt. I haven't been able to mix the riding with the workouts on Tues. & Wed.

My question is in regards to the amount of cardio I should be mixing in. I tend to start making mistakes on the bike at about 15 minutes. Up to there I'm really able to hang it out. I don't necessaritly feel out of breath, but definitely spent.

So is this usually a sign of cardio fatigue or muscle fatigue? I'm guessing it's cardio but wanted to check.

Any comments or additional work I should be doing are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris R.

2008 kx250f

Post subject: Re: In-Season Training
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Determining if your fatigue is muscle or cardio related is tough. I would really have to evaluate how hard you are training through the week and determine your strength levels. But generally, if you aren't getting winded then I would say it is muscle fatigue. You may need to work on getting stronger this winter. Dropping 25 lbs is a lot of weight if all you are doing is cardio. You can always mix in some strength training if you feel you are down on power.

During the season I like to train my riders to be able to go as hard as they can (during training) for at least five minutes longer than their motos. If your motos are 20 minutes, then I recommend being able to go as hard as you can during training for at least 25! Not being able to ride during the week can also be a problem but if you don't have the time then there really isn't much you can do about it. Mental fatigue can also play a major role in making mistakes as the race wears on, especially if you don't get to ride much during the week. Check out Dr. Cohns website (http://www.racingpsychology.com) and see what he has to say about it.

Congratulations on qualifying for Loretta's. Make sure you stop by and say hi at the Racer X Virtual Trainer booth!

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:23 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I should have been more clear about my weight loss. I still lifted during the time I lost weight, however my natural weight is definitely around 160. I have to eat well over 4000 cals (200+ protein) to stay above 175 and that becomes difficult.

I can still bench 225, deadlift 315+ and squat 225 for reps, so I think the strength is there, just not the endurance. That would explain why I start to struggle on the wed workouts because I'm still fatigued from tuesdays lifting.

The answer about being able to push 5+ minutes is great, I thought I had to push much further.

One further question. To push 25+ minutes, what amount of time should I be doing cardio for? Should I work more on pushing 25-30 minutes, or pushing my base further by doing 45-60 minutes on the bike or running?

I'll check the mental training thing out as well. I tend to struggle in my training, but in a race I never mentally give up, I'm always pushing forward telling myself i'm not tired and what i'm doing is EASY!

Thanks again!
Chris

2008 kx250f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

If you are following the in-season plan that is posted on the website, that is definitely a high muscular endurance type workout. Just be careful with the amount of time prescribed to training and riding. I use that schedule with an ATV client of mine, but she doesn't have a job, is 18 years old, and has nothing but time on her hands. She gets plenty of rest between workouts and her nutrition is pretty solid. If yopu have a full time job and try to keep that schedule, you may start to get over trained. Pay close attention to Seiji's Recovery article we posted last week (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... seiji.html ).

As far as going 5 minutes longer than a moto. Let me explain. I use the actual heart rates of my riders during their moto to determine their heart rates during training. When we bike or run, I make damn sure their heart rates are at or above what they are during a race and for AT LEAST the length of the race. If they can make it through training which is longer than their motos, race day should be a piece of cake!

You asked "One further question. To push 25+ minutes, what amount of time should I be doing cardio for? Should I work more on pushing 25-30 minutes, or pushing my base further by doing 45-60 minutes on the bike or running?" The answer is both! On high intensity days (usually early in the week) push hard for the 25 to 30 minutes. On lower intensity days, shoot for lower heart rate and go a little longer.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:08 am 

OK, remember a few things:
1) Riding is the priority. You are a motocross rider. Doing a weight workout or whatever and having the recovery from that workout interfere with the quality of your moto days means you have to rework the scheudule. If there is any interference going on, it needs to be that the recovery from the moto day is interfering with a different type of workout and that different workout can be compromised to allow the full benefit of the moto day.
2) Training schedules are "best case" scenarios. If you are not recovered enough to have quality, productive workouts for teh week then you need to do some adjusting. Hammering yourself just to stay on "schedule" is not smart training. No amount of willpower will overcome physiology. You seem VERY determined, organized, etc. I am not saying you are doing this, I cannot tell for sure but in my experience those are the athletes that will stick to the prescribed "best case" schedule no matter what and therefore have substandard moto days.
3) That being said, you need to figure out if you are getting fatigued making errors during motos because your actual riding fitness is low or you are not recovered enough from training to have a good day at the track.
4) Heart rate zones are spedific to the activity. Running heart rate zones are relativley much higher than cycling heart rate zones for instance. Your heart rate during motocross riding will not correlate directly to heart rates during cycling or any other activity. I don't use heart rate zones during moto training because it is really dependent on track conditions for which you have no control over. A nice and tacky track will produce a much higher heart rate than a dry slick track for example. A rough track will produce a higher HR than a smooth track, etc.
5) Strength training needs to be periodized for best results and the strength training period should precede the same period used in the other training activites. For example you would work on power in the gym on period before you would use it in other activities. When you get close to your most important events like Loretta's you actually scale the gym work way back to just a maintenance phase so that you have enough energy for the most important training and recovery that happens before a big event.
6) Muscular endurance is specific: being able to cycle for 40 minutes doens't mean you can moto for 40 minutes. First things first. If your limiter is riding for 40 minutes let's say, then you need to dedicate the most energy to specifically train to ride 40 minutes and recover from this training. I am sometimes amazed when I hear of moto guys going on say 3 hour bicycle road rides, yet they cannot ride 2 x 30 minute motos yet. Better to use that energy to actually train to ride 2 x 30 minute motos and recover from them than to blow all that energy riding 3 hours on the road and reocvering from that.

That is all my thoughts on your quesiton at the moment but if I think of more I will put it up. I know that I do have several articles archived on Racer X VT that should be of assistance to you. Good luck man and yes, stop by the booth for sure. I should be sticking my head in there every once in awhile. Congrats and good luck at the Ranch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:41 am 
Site Admin

To find the articles Coach Seiji is refering to, go to the virtual trainer website, and type in "seiji" in the search box. All of Coach Seiji's articles will appear!

Image Image