Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Mid Season Training
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:25 am 

Hello and thanks for the forum.
1. Everyone talks about developing a significant cardio base before training at higher zones. My question is: I have been unable to cardio train because of arm and leg injuries. Now it's the middle of the racing season and I am able to train and start racing again. I dont have the time left in the season to base train for a long period of time. What is the most effective way for me to develop my cardio training at this point? I am familiar with heart rate training zones so please refer to these.
Thank you so much for your time.

Post subject: Re: Mid Season Training
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Aerobic base training is used to increase your aerobic threshold; the point at with your body switches from aerobic to anaerobic. Since you missed the base training period I recommend starting with the in-season exercises and try to recover some of the cardio that you lost. Start out slow at first and once you feel like you are ok, start hitting it pretty hard. You should be working in the aerobic (zone 3) and anaerobic zones (zone 4) at this point (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... lator.html ). The season will be over before you know it and then you can start working on your aerobic base training. Running, cycling, and rowing (and riding of course) should be your main form of training at this point.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:50 am 

If you have literally been on the couch, I would stick to the purely aerobic zones 1 and 2 for the remainder of the season for your cardio training and let the actual motocross riding handle the aerobic conditiooing for the higher energy systems. You are correct in saying that you don't have the time right now to develop a pure aerobic base. You also don't have a base now to build upon. You have to also realize that the total amount of energy you have available to "spend" training is lower than usual because you have been sitting out and were not able to build up the ability to spend that much energy training so you better use it up where it counts right now: actual motocross riding and recovering from this actual motocross riding.

Prioritize what you need to do first and foremost in your training. Figure out what is your limiting factor and in almost all cases following injuiry it is acutal riding so make that the priority and schedule everything else around it. Remember: you are scheduling for the riding AND the recovery from riding and you will have to progressively increase both the duration and intensity of your riding. What you want to avoid right now is having the other training stealing energy away from your riding and the recovery process. You need to right now let the riding assume some of the energy you would normally have to dedicate to pure aerobic training.

Identify your limiter right now (almost always riding after injury), prioritize according to this limiter and dedicate the most energy to the limiter, schedule other activities accordingly. It won't matter if you can ride your bicycle for 30 minutes in zone 3 if you can't ride a full moto on your dirt bike. Remember that training is highly specific, especially when you start over again from the bottom. Good luck! Injury management, being a good "healer" and comeback from injury are all "skills" that you develop as a moto athlete.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:38 am 
Site Admin

I completely agree with Coach Seiji. Riding right now is your number one priority. Ride as much as you can, BUT if you can't ride during the week (which is an assumption I almost always make with amatuers) then you have to get your conditioning from supplimental sources like rowing, biking, running, etc.

Image Image