Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: 6 Weeks til season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:12 pm 

After not riding for a year I've gone from a nearly sedentary state to very active state to get ready for the upcoming motocross season. Like the title said, I have 6 weeks to get ready for the season. To gauge where I'm at I purchased a heart rate monitor and checked where it was at during my practice. My endurance is not hot at all, yesterday I did a 10 minute moto followed by two 5 minute motos. All three motos I went all out on a little track in the desert that is constant whoops, breaking/accel bumps, and sand. My average heart rate was 191 with a max hitting 201, the lowest around 164. Obviously I don't want to feel like I'm doing an all out sprint come race season which is exactly what I'm doing at the moment.

My current training program is as follows:

Monday - 1 hr bike ride in the morning, ride later if possible
Tuesday - HIIT (weights/running), ride later if possible
Wednesday - 1 hr bike ride in the morning, ride later if possible
Thursday - HIIT (weights/running), ride later if possible
Friday - 1 hr bike ride, ride later if possible.
Saturday - Rest or ride
Sunday - Rest or ride (depending on Saturday)

On average I ride 4-5 days a week.

My diet is very clean right now, plenty of hydration. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs, 18 yrs old. Trying to lose about 15 more pounds (already lost 15). Point is, I want to make sure that what I'm doing right now is optimal for getting ready to race in 6 weeks. Is this as good as it gets and what should I aim to manipulate from what you see here? Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: 6 Weeks til season
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 am 
Site Admin

Well, with only six weeks to go until the season and coming off of a sedentary period it is going to be tough for you to get in to shape in 6 weeks. The heart rates you have posted are extremely high. It looks to me like you need to start from the beginning by improving your cardio and muscular endurance. Since I cannot evaluate you based on your question you need to determine what you think your weak points are and work on them. You may need to start with a basic off-season program first to improve your aerobic base and overall strength. Otherwise, the pre-season and in-season programs offered on the site might be a good place to start.

The information you have given regarding your workouts is too general to evaluate. What type of bike rides do you go on (intensity and heart rates), and what exercises are involved in the HIIT training?

Just curious, but why are you trying to lose 15 more pounds when you only weigh 175?

Check out the "Workout" section for the off-season, pre-season and and in-season articles mentionsed above. they are filled with schedules and recommended exercises. Thanks and hope this helps!

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am 

Thanks for the response,

I'm trying to lose more weight for two reasons, the fact that my suspension was setup for a weight in that area (and cannot afford another revalve at this time), but most importantly that that 15 lbs is mostly fat which I can only imagine hinders me.

The bike rides are along what the Racerxvt site had posted: Zones 1 & 2 for roughly 10 minutes then Zone 3 for the remainder of the workout.

The HIIT workouts involve lifting weights with the following exercises: squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, and ab/arm workouts. My main goal being to strengthen my core. Following the lifting I swim laps in the pool.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Regarding the weight loss...I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount of weight you are trying to loose, but rather your percent body fat. If you belong to a gym they should be able to do a % body fat analysis pretty quickly with a set of calipers. The reason you don't want to concentrate weight loss is because as you loose the fat you will most likely replace it with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so depending on the ratio of fat loss to muscle gain you may in fact gain weight. The key is % body fat. As an weekend warrior athlete you should be in the 10 to 15% body fat range. But opinions on that number will vary. Don't let the fact that your suspension was set up for a certain weight force you to loose weight that may not be optimal for you. I am no suspension expert but I am sure you can adjust it without too much effort.

The HIIT routines are ok but I recommend using the workouts posted in the "Workouts" section on the website (In-season articles). They were choosen specifically for motocross. Of course you can substitute and modify the workouts to suit your needs. I do like the fact that you are only doing the HIIT training twice a week with a day of rest in between. Also it is good that you are doing them early in the week.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:44 am 

Since you are off the couch you are going to need to put in at least 4 weeks of "base" training in my opinion to get any real benefit from later higher intensity workouts. Base training basically means lower intensity exericse everywhere: slow down at the track and try to stay out for longer motos; zones 1 and 2 only during cardiovascular workouts; and low intensity, higher repitition work in the gym on the weights. If you skip this base training period, your high intensity sprint work on the track, zone 3 and higher work on cardio, and the heavier lifting will only provide VERY temporary benefits if any and you are way more prone to overtraining and injury. First things first, no amount of willpower will overcome physiology. Give your body a chance to perform at its best and give it the base training that it needs first before hammering yourself into oblivion. Train smarter, not just harder. Do some base training!