Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Questions.....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:13 pm 

Well i mainly go through Tim but i thought id see what everyone else thought. I race atv mx in the nationals as well as local district races. We race the nationals from march to august, and the locals alllll year long, so when it comes to in season and pre season, what do i do now? Im still going to race from now till next nationals start in march, but im done with the nationals. Should i start the pre season, or keep with the inseason for the whole winter? And i just sent tim this but i figured id also post it in here for responses....

Hey tim, today i started the off season training and damn thast hard. So many lifts in one day, then to have to go do cardio, its killer! So after the first weeks i should go and do heavier weights and only 4-6 reps instead of 8-10? And also, after i workout, atleast today, i couldnt go and row for 30min at 160bpm(heart rate). I could at like 155 but not 160 which is 70% of my max. Now i could run, or bike it(spinning) but not row, so what should i do? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Questions.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 pm 

anyone? and also, would it be ok to do some sort of cardio everyday including the workouts and such for the off-season training? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jordan, please be patient with the Forum. I promise you that the other experts will respond. Right now is a very busy time for many of the trainers since the season is coming to a close and many of the brand new rookies are going to their first national.

I understand your season and the fact that you really don't have much of an off-season. Angela's (for those of you who don't know, Angela also races the same schedule as Jordan and I train her) schedule is the same as yours. What I am going to do with her is shut her in-season training down the end of September. I feel she still needs a few more weeks of in-season training because she is going to start riding the B class and I don't want to change things up on too drastically until she has had a chance to adjust. The end of September, I will transition her to the off-season training period. You need (MUST) find a time to train in the off-season mode. If you are training in-season with intervals and high intensity exercises, you need to give your body a rest so-to-speak. The off-season is the time to increase your core (or base) strength and also increase your aerobic capacity. Check out this Thursday's article from Aldon Baker to learn more about heart rate training and the benefits of increasing your aerobic base. Coach Seiji also wrote a great article on how to "go-low" and do more lower intensity training.

The off-season training article that you are following is pretty complete. Just follow it. After Aldon posts his article on heart rate training this Thursday, you will understand that your max heart rate is SPORT SPECIFIC. Meaning you will have a different max heart rate for rowing, biking, swimming, and racing. I won't go into much detail here since the article goes into greater detail, but bottom line is that your max heart rate while rowing is going to be different than when you are running. Maintaining 70% max heart rate on the rowing machine is going to be "harder" than maintaining 70% max heart rate when running because your max heart rate while rowing is most likely higher than your max heart rate while running.

jrp wrote:
So after the first weeks i should go and do heavier weights and only 4-6 reps instead of 8-10?
---Yes.

Yes, you can do some sort of cardio training everyday of the week. Just don't do intense cardio every day of the week! I highly recommend doing all sorts of cardio exercises like mountain biking, playing basketball, etc. Staying active (but not over training) is the key to being a top athlete.

Couple other articles for you to read
http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... seiji.html
http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... eriod.html

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 am 

Generally speaking the off season should be 1) a chance for renewal in the form of much less intense training and less strictly prescribed training (mental, physical and emotional break) and after that 2) a period of general conditioning where you do the least specific (to your sport training) that makes the most gains in general conditioning.

You can keep racing locally but keep the pressure to perform low and go out and have fun and be social. Training should be the most general of the year...all the things Tim mentioned as far as various forms of cardio but the intensities should be very low. Off season to pre season is the time to put on a huge aerobic only base...the highest volume but the lowest intensity. There should also be a period where strength training is the same....low intensity but high volume.

Following the official off season described above then it's time to do the most intense strength training to actually make gains in raw strength. Once the season starts, that type of intensity done with everything else can be counterproductive. The pre to season period is where you put the speed on the strength and then maintain it. It is very difficult to make gains in raw strength during the season since all other fomrs of training intensity will be much higher.

All this is very general I know but that is all I can do in a forum. Just remember that the off season should be a time to recharge those batteries. It is very important for the long term to give your body a break and a chance to rejuvinate. Same goes for your mind. It will pay off in spades in the motivation department later. Once that period is over it is time to do hard work but in the general conditioning department. As the season approaches you take that general conditioning and sharpen it to specific conditioning for your sport.