Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

Post subject: Heart rate zones
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 pm 

I was wondering what zones I should be in during training. I do cardio everyday, M-W-F I will do somewhere around a 1.5-2 hr mtb ride and T-Th I go a little shorter and faster doing around an 1hr. For that amount of time what would be the optimum zone to train in.

Another thing is, are ice baths really beneficial? I have been told that they will take all the lactic acid out of your muscles. Do they really do everything people say?

Post subject: Re: Heart rate zones
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Your heart rate training zones will depend on the time of the season you are training for. Assuming you are in your "in-season" portion of your training you need to be working in the aerobic and anaerobic zones (zones 3 and 4). See this calculator for help in establishing your zones (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... lator.html )
Generally in the off-season program you stay out of the anaerobic zone to broden your aerobic base. Here is a good article from Coach Seiji that details how to train using a heart rate monitor (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... seiji.html ).

You can also do a search within the site on "heart rate training zones" for several other articles that discuss this topic.

As far as the ice baths go, I'll let one of the other experts answer that one!

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Heart rate zones
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 am 

Alhtough the heart rate zone calculator is a good place to start, the field test described in the second article I feel is much better for two reasons: 1) the calculator does not account for individual variablility (which is huge) and 2) the calculator will not change your heart rate zones as your fitness changes.

The field test accounts for each individual's differences and fitness level at the time of the test. As your fitness changes you repeat the field test to get the new heart rate zones that will work with your new level of cardiovascular fitness.

The field test will give you 5 distinct heart rate zones. The first 3 are aerobic conditioning/power and the last 2 are anaerobic conditioning and anaerobic power. How much time/sessions you spend in each zone per week depends on where you are in your fitness level and where you are within your season. Generally speaking you work from building a large, purely aerobic base level of fitness then progressively add the higher heart rate zones. Again, generally speaking the higher the heart rate zone, the less time you spend in that heart rate zone and the less times per training period you do that particular workout. One more generalization is that as you add higher heart rate zone work, the lower your total aerobic time per week becomes. Intensity and volume have have an inverse relationship: as one goes up the other must come down to maintain the same relative total workload.

Ice baths are simply a natural way to reduce inflammation. They do not remove lactic acid from your muscles, only proper blood circulation does that and that's why you do a cool down. Ice baths just reduce muscle, joint, and connective tissue inflammation that my occur after a particularily strenuous workout.