Racer X Virtual Trainer

SPAM HAS KILLED THE INTERNET. email me if you want to register for the forum. Tim@racerxonline.com
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

PLEASE, since this is an expert forum, only post a response to your OWN topic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 am 

Hello All,

I just finished my first Endurocross event and found that my current level of fitness was lower than I had hoped. I focus my training on cardio and riding skills. Running 4Xweek 25 min interval train (30 sec.speed with 1min.30sec. recovery time.) My next race is a little over a month out. And I have a few quetions, first the motos last about 8 mins during the race there is very few chances to recover you are always going over some difficult object.
Should I focus my cardio more on anaerobic or aberobic? and how. Second I did get some arm pump and was wondering if I did my running workouts with weights(dumbells) if that would help my grip? also do I have enough time incorpate a lifting routine that I could benefit from?(former power style lifter and stopped lifting a year ago).

Thank you for your time,

Al

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

First, let me start off with saying that accessing what is wrong with your current fitness level is very difficult in an internet forum. But, we are here to help so let me give this a try. First, there is no "quick fix" to fitness. If you are struggling now, the only thing you can do is continue your training and improve over time. Nothing new there...I'm sure you know this. You say that you run 4x's per week, 25 minute intervals. That sounds good, but to incorporate some muscle conditioning into your program, try the routine in this article along with your intervals (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... ining.html ). I have been using that workout with some great success. If you have access to to a rowing machine, I would recommend that in place of some of the runs. There is a way of setting up the rower to do interval workouts, so if you need help just let me know.

Your workouts should definitely be focused on anaerobic conditioning. You can work on your aerobic training in the off-season. Intervals is how you train anaerobically.

It is my opinion that you are getting arm pump from your lack of conditioning. Carrying around weights will not necessarily reduce or eliminate arm pump. Increasing your grip strength is good, but there are so many other variables that cause arm pump and OVERALL body conditioning is the main area of concern. If you get to the point where you are in great shape by not getting tired during your race and still getting arm pump, then we can go a little deeper and see if your arm pump is caused from something else like riding style. Here is a great article that explains arm pump and ways to reduce it (http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer ... _pump.html )

One last thing. If you were a former power lifter, you may have bigger muscles than are preferred for high cardio activities like motocross. As a power lifter you may have never focused on cardio (like most guys at the gym). As you begin to increase your cardio output, your muscle mass should start to decrease. I highly recommend continuing to lift but not the way you may have been doing when you were a power lifter. The goal in motocross is to have a very high strength to weight ratio. In power lifting you may have actually had a lower strength to weight ratio than preferred if you were lifting to gain size. The article from above explains in complete detail. You want to be very strong.....but as light as your body will handle.

Thanks for asking a great question and stay tuned to see what some of the other experts have to say.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:26 am 

How closely do parts of your actual riding program involve the duration/intensity/skills of an Endurocross race? Training is very, very specific and some parts of your riding need to mimic the specific demands of racing. Your riding program needs to include 8 minute sprints starting from a practice start over very similar terrain. In general, your riding should incorporate at this point of your season: riding sessions the same duration/intensity of racing; riding sessions slighly higher intensity but lower duration; and finally riding sessions that have slightly lower intensity but longer duration.

Arm pump at someone at a high level in my opinion can be caused mostly by mental things: lack of confidence, nervousness about the track, etc. Knowing that you have done the correct training and having confidence in your conditioning can "miraculously" cure arm pump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 am 

Thank You Coach Crytser and Coach Seiji,

I gained some insight on training that I think will help me in the next race. I understand there are no quick fixes. I have been training and competeing in 5 K running events for the last 2 years. I believe these have given me a good cardio base (not sure if it is aerobic or more anaerobic I run 5 k'S in th mid 19's at 6500 ft elevation). I think this training has helped my endrocross racing. But as you mentioned there is still more that I can do. I like the circuit training routine and I have incorprated it into my workouts. I do not have access to a rowing machine so I thought I would do the circuit training after running my intervals.(which I have been running for the last 2 months). I also found a lot of interesting information in your arm pump article. One key point in your article was that arm pump was a measure of your overall fitness level.(I thought mine was good) which leads me to beleive that what Coach Seiji said might be playing a role in my arm pump issue.(mental issues) This was my first race ever and you could say I was a "little tight". I hope I can relax and ride the way I do when I train on my practice track. I'm also going to change my riding training to mimic racing situations. (Thanks Coach Seiji)
I still have one question, I only have about 1 hour a day to workout (running / lifting) and 1.5 hrs every other day for riding. I feel that by running intervals I can get the best workout in the shortest amount of time is this true? and is this type of anaerobic training as good as cycling and rowwing? also is anaerobic conditioning in specfic muscles or a whole body system? what I mean is that when I run are only my legs becoming more anaerobic or is all my muscle becoming more anaerobic through interval training?
I hope this last question makes sence?

Thanks again I'm looking forward to my next race in Denver I hope all this training pays off!

Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 am 

My suggestion to you is to break up your running so that you are not ONLY doing the anaerobic interval training. What it sounds like is you need one day of short, intense intervals like I think you are doing now, one day of medium intensity medium duration intevals (4-6 minutes, HR zone 3 or Tempo), and one day of pure aerobic running only. With the volume of training that you do weekly, I really doubt that doing the same thing every time is going to continue to get you gains that you need. Your are only stressing one fuel system if you only do one type of interval running.

As far as "where" you are affecting your body, you are locally causing your leg muscles to increase certain muscular enzymes, capillary density, etc. and such to tolerate lactic acid buildup but you are also stressing your entire cardiovascular system to perform at those levels too. The only way to get the local changes in your upper body are by riding, doing muscular endurance workouts involving those muscles in the gym and using your upper body in aerobic exercise like swimming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:54 pm 

Thanks for all the great advice, I don't know if I'm a better racer. But I do know I'm a better runner. I set a PB in my 5 k times. I have been doing a day low intensity/ higher duratition runs (30 min) a day of mediums (tempos) and a day of intervals. Between these days, I do Tim's circuit training. I also ride every otherday at different intensities. My next race is Sept. 26 how and when should I taper off on my workouts?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

You should start to taper your workouts on Wednesday. Your highest volume and lowest intensity should be early in the week with lower volume and higher intensity as the week progresses.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 pm 

The "standard" taper means that your lowest intensity, higher volume training comes first and as you get closer to your event the duration gets shorter but the intensity is the highest. Also, you don't want to take the day before the race off. That day is usally the short, intense day (like 30 mintues total). If you cannot get out on the motorcycle then a 30 minute bicycle ride with 4 x 40 second all out sprints is an example of what to do the day before a race. No matter your tapering schedule the taper week is half or less than half of yoru usual volume and overall intensity for the week is much lower. You should only do a week long or longer taper for your high priority events, otherwise you will always be tapering and hardly every doing a full training period!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm 

Just my luck I'm getting sick(head cold) should I keep training or lay off for a day or two?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 am 
Site Admin

If you are getting sick, take a day off and get better.

Image Image